Preventing red mite and other nasties

• 68 Replies

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
Preventing red mite and other nasties
« on: May 30, 2009, 12:23 »
I have read with care many, many entries on red mite in chicken houses, how awful they are, what to do if you get them, and how to prevent them.

I have a wooden hen house (budget would not permit an Eglu, plus my OH likes the natural look) so must be at risk. I haven't lined it with tin like Foxy, or painted it with powdered chalk. What I do do is clean it out every day so that there is never any poo or damp newspaper, line it with newspaper and put straw on top. A full clean once a month (due today and fortunately it's a lovely dry day). I use Poultry Shield for cleaning, and then put Diatom in the crevices and around the perch holders.

Will Diatom keep red mite etc at bay if I dust it liberally into all the nooks and crannies? Or is there something else I should be doing? My girls are squeaky clean at present and I hate to think of them getting any nasties  :ohmy:
No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness

poultrygeist

Re: Preventing red mite and other nasties
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 12:35 »
Diatom should keep them at bay, as should regular cleaning with poultry shield. Compared to you, I am positively dirty  :D, but we haven't seen them yet. I do dread it so I check every day for signs and try to keep everything as clean as poss.

I think it's the one thing that pays to be paranoid about. :)

Rob 8)

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 12:38 »
Hi errmmmmm I haven't lined my houses with tin???? ??? I have 9 wooden houses ranging from large 4x6 sheds to smaller arcs. Red mite do like new, clean wood though. This is what I do....

Spring -deep clean with Jeyes then spray Milbenex into nooks crannies etc. Liberally dust Mitex (diatom) into nest boxes, ends of perches every 2 weeks or when they are cleaned out. Instead of Milbenex, which has a residual effect, very potent though and is used commercially, you could use Poultry Shield.

To check for redmite, shine a torch at night along the perches and if you have any of them they are easier to spot. :)

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 14:55 »
Sorry Foxy, I thought it was you that had the Stalag Luft tin-lined house. Must be another moderator!  :blink:

Sounds as though I am doing all right. Lovely spring clean today, bright sunny day with stiff breeze to dry it out. Then I will top up all the little crevices with Diatom.

meterman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 20:07 »
Got rid of the little Bs after2 weeks best tip i can give is to paint pearch ends with neat jeyes.

mumsy

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 21:07 »
I have been so busy lately that I didn't get around to poultry sheilding the coop, the last couple of clean outs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am now paying the price as I found the blighters yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Couldn't believe how many there were in such a short space of time
So don't do as I did, use all the necessary precautions, ALL THE TIME!!!!!!

I am exhausted from all the cleaning yesterday & worried that they won't go away.  I also keep finding them on me when I'm outside, near where I jet washed the coop.
The house is now sheilded & diatomed & the girls dusted, me? I  feel so guilty :(  Won't be too busy again, I can tell you.

desandchez

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 11:42 »
The other thing that i have found to kill the dreaded mite and there eggs is a gas weed gun (bought from lidles) you can hear ;) ;) them pop. Just make sure you don't set fire to anything and for dusting the hens put red mite powder in a cloth bag put the hen in with her head poking out and give her a gentle shake and roll

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 11:57 »
Like the idea of putting the hens in a cloth bag (suppose an old pillowcase would work  :)), just got to catch one of mine to do it (no sign of any infestation but need to do it as a matter of course  :))
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 14:25 »
I creosote my hen houses inside and out at least once a year... it preserves the wood, smells fab (or is that just me?) and you can watch the little blood suckers shrivel up before your (masked) eyes.  Creosote subsitute works just as well.  :D
Mad chicken woman

mumsy

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 22:11 »
Have jet washed house again & the girls have had to sleep in the shed tonight.  loads more came out of it today, have orderd duramitex now, anyone else used it?

too many girls

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 22:26 »
Have jet washed house again & the girls have had to sleep in the shed tonight.  loads more came out of it today, have orderd duramitex now, anyone else used it?

i thought that was a condom!

Big Jen

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 23:13 »
I am currently using Duramitex. But I have heard its pretty nasty stuff and should be used with care, rubber gloves, mask etc.  Its not made any more so supply is limited.
I understand it does the job and kills everything for up to 3 mths. I bought a proper sprayer and keep it just for this. It smells terrible.
I am trying this out of desparation- used poultryshield and diatom and frontline as routine and still found mites on the birds. Havent seen one since spaying with this.

Jenny
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 23:41 »
Unfortunately, the product licence for Duramitex was revoked so its storage or use beyond 6 Dec 2008 is not legal and we can't be seen to endorse its use - see here for details.

Back to the other remedies mentioned.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Foxy

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 11:51 »
Unfortunately, the product licence for Duramitex was revoked so its storage or use beyond 6 Dec 2008 is not legal and we can't be seen to endorse its use - see here for details.

Back to the other remedies mentioned.

Harkers have now developed a product called "duramitex plus" which works not only on the waxy coating of the mite but also kills the eggs, it does not contain pesticides and is the eggs will be safe for human consumption. I am hoping to test this product so will let you know! :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 18:54 »
That's good news, Foxy  :D

xx
Had an idea on preventing red mite

Started by Jemimapuddleduck on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post June 17, 2010, 10:09
by joyfull
xx
Preventing a mud bath!

Started by honeysuckle farm on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 09:48
by karlooben
xx
Preventing pasting up?

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 02, 2010, 08:17
by Casey76
xx
Preventing flies not just catching them

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 17:48
by Tartuffe

Page created in 1.334 seconds with 30 queries.