Preventing red mite and other nasties

• 68 Replies

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Preventing red mite and other nasties
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2009, 11:13 »
Personally I don't think it's worth the risk with my hens even if it is just "and contains chemicals which are probable carcinogens", but each to his/her own.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2009, 12:17 »
 :) there is a creosote substitute available which works just as well and isn't quite so nasty

I would always make sure you take precautions when using creosote or the substitute as it is foul stuff (but it smells great and annihilates red mites). PPE is essential: eye protection and gloves and apply in a well ventilated area (keep hen house doors open).  Keep chooks out till its dry (24 hours) so stick em in a box in the garage or move them to another pen.

Having had red mite IN MY HAIR (eeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuwwwwwww - I hosed my head and then washed it about ten times!!!) last year after collecting eggs and brushing against the roof of my hen house I will always use creosote!!  I also use powder on the hens and the diatom thingies on perches and nest boxes... maybe I'm paranoid!!
Mad chicken woman

nzdunn

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2009, 13:53 »
Ive just ordered some poultry shield, could i ask aswell as spraying around the hen house, can you spray the nest box etc.    nicky

Foxy

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2009, 14:05 »
Ive just ordered some poultry shield, could i ask aswell as spraying around the hen house, can you spray the nest box etc.    nicky

yep, give everywhere a real good soaking! ;)

desandchez

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2009, 16:11 »
Hi all
just wondering will spot on protect hens from red mite?

bubs

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2009, 16:25 »
will battles black disinfection help to kill lice or mites in the shed , i was told to use this at a farm shop because other chicken keepers do use it .
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 18:12 by bubs »

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2009, 18:11 »
What is it? I have never heard of it.
If it is a detergent as well as a disinfectant then it may work.  Products like poultry sheild work by destroying the waxy coating on the mite and therefore allowing it to dry out and die.
Or so I have been lead to believe.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

nzdunn

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2009, 18:38 »
Ive just took up someones tip there and painted the ends of there perch with neat Jeyes Fluid.    Thanks for that i love tips  :D :D :D :D :D   Nickyx

mumsy

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2009, 18:45 »
Well the stuff didn't arrive today :(   Can anyone tell me if frontline gets rid of them on my dogs.  I am having a nightmare, a horse I was leading today, bolted & has broken my ring finger :( :( :(  God knows how I am going to irradicate the B|*|***|*S.  Am really worried about the dogs, they are going insane with the itching. I frontlined them yesterday!! Also they are in the house :( :( How do I deal with this? Any suggestions PLEASE,am desperate

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2009, 19:07 »
Personally I don't think it's worth the risk with my hens even if it is just "and contains chemicals which are probable carcinogens", but each to his/her own.

There are hundreds if not thousands of carcinogens all around us. Unless you're chooks are applying the creosote themselves then there is no risk to them as long as the coop is dry before putting them back in. I usually apply and leave the coop empty for two days.

Mumsy, I tried allsorts of powders and treatments and the only thing I have found to get rid of them is Jeyes Fluid neat and creosote. I have actually watched red mite bathe in some of the stuff the feed stores sell to kill it....

nzdunn

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2009, 20:27 »
Ive just looked up that duramitex plus on Petmeds, is it for use on the birds also and how do you apply it or is it just for applying inside the hen houses, would like to know if anyone uses it and how they use it please.    Nicky

mumsy

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2009, 21:57 »
will let you know  if it arrives tomorrow

does anyone know if red mite powder works on dogs

« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 22:02 by mumsy »

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2009, 22:13 »
Anyone know how this Duramitex stuff works? It's not a pesticide, I see on the blurb that it kills them by coating them in "silicon substances" and suffocating them, does this mean it has to be applied directly to the red mite in order to work?

« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 22:22 by Hensington »

mumsy

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2009, 22:18 »
Recommended treatments to eradicate mites include thorough cleaning the chicken accommodation and using products such as MiteX, a natural non chemical insecticide which can be used in poultry houses and in feed storage areas without risk to the birds, feed or any workers. The MiteX powder, which has extremely high oil absorption, is highly effective at attaching itself to and then lacerating the waxy surface of the insect as they move through it.

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2009, 22:35 »
Not sure what they are using now but the old stuff was banned as it was an Organo Phosphate. Current stuff seems to be aimed for pigeons rather than chickens, ask them about egg withdrawl periods, better safe than sorry.

xx
Had an idea on preventing red mite

Started by Jemimapuddleduck on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post June 17, 2010, 10:09
by joyfull
xx
Preventing a mud bath!

Started by honeysuckle farm on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 09:48
by karlooben
xx
Preventing pasting up?

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 02, 2010, 08:17
by Casey76
xx
Preventing flies not just catching them

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 17:48
by Tartuffe

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 38 queries.