Poorly Chook

• 8 Replies

Miller

Poorly Chook
« on: May 26, 2009, 09:34 »
Not been on here for a while but got a quick question.

One of our new girls (just started laying) laid a huge (and I mean huge - like a duck egg) double yolker last wed, found it when we got home from work, she was bleeding slightly from her vent and the others have been taking a sneaky peck at her.

We isolated and clean her up, she had caked wet poo down her feathers as well as the blood, no sign of a prolapse, more bruised looking and sore.

since then she has laid once the following day (small egg) but her vent is still slightly swollen and she has wet poo running down her feathers - none of the others off colour - she is eating (taken her off layers to bring her off lay to stop aggravating it), happy enough to free range and peck at the grass, runs off if you try to catch her but is droopy and gives up very quickly, her feathers are fluffed up but eyes bright, and a bit slower than normal.

We started her on Baytril on thursday just in case after the tear but she doesn't seem to be improving at all - any ideas? This morning she was on the perch when I let them out and the liquid was dripping like water off her bottom feathers.

Have had a feel of her tummy, no sign of an egg, her crop was quite full still this morning but not hard or painful.

Any ideas anyone?   :(

Rubellite

Re: Poorly Chook
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 09:46 »
If you've cleaned her up and isolated her and she's eating ok, I would imagine time would heal, but if at all worried I'd take her to the vet to get her checked.
Someone else will no doubt be along who has experienced this :mellow:

Miller

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 13:47 »
Anyone else any ideas? Beginning to wonder if it could be egg perintonitis - have bought some chicken spice and will up her Baytril from tonight

Obv if she is suffering we will do the kindest thing but I'd rather keep her as a pet if at all possible  :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 13:55 »
Might be that she is just out of sorts and getting used to this egg laying thing, however as rubellite says if in doubt get her to a vets, and keep doing what youre already doing (keeping her clean etc)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Vember

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 15:29 »
Hi Miller

It can take some girls a while to get started :)

The liquid is it clear? Does it look like clear egg white, if you touch it is it elasticy (sticky) or just plain watery?

Sarah :)

Miller

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 15:58 »
The liquid running out this morning was clear like water - didn't notice it being sticky but I'll check! 

Rest of the time she has a runny pooey loking stuff that is a pale creamy yellow colour, it all started after the huuuuuge eggy (she has laid once since then) and she does appear 'slightly' off colour feathers ruffled etc

Would post pics but can't access pics from work - she is very different to one of our older batch when she is going to lay a soft shelled one

Just worried it's egg yolk peritonitis after the huge one she laid the other day - have been told those that lay double yolkers are more prone to it? 

She is certainly v quiet and moping off on her own but as I said, is still eating/drinking

I've bought some poultry spice at lunch and will give her another antibio this evening and some porridge with spice in, got probiotic yoghurt too - would that help or hinder as well?

She's a real sweety so dn;t want to give up on her unless it's nexcessary.

What's best to wash her bottom in? We've been using very dilute hibiscrub with warm water

Vember

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 16:29 »
I have no personal experience of peritonitis I'm afraid :(
By the sounds of her droppings and from what I've read it could very well be :(

The reason I asked about the clear dropping was I found Crumb did that when she first cam into lay and was having difficulty passing the egg, but it was an elasticy type liquid rather than running :)

Have a feel under her wing then under one of your other girls to see if she has a temp, but think best option would be to get her to a vets :)

Sarah :)

Miller

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 08:22 »
The poor girlie isn't talking to us any more, she was wandering around when we got home last night so got grabbed out of the run, sat in a washing up bowl of warm water with hibiscrub and her bottom washed and dried - still has very runny creamy yellow poo down her feathers but it is looking less runny, her crop felt if anything a little hard so she had a massage, she was then offered her Baytril with natural yoghurt and porceeded to shake it off her beak all over OH's jacket  ::)    Gave up on the yoghurt as she really didn't seem keen so syringed her Baytril (not impressed  :ohmy: )

Put her back in the run and gave everyone some corn, threw some away from her so the others didn't attack her (now very clean bottom) and threw some for her - attacked it with gusto  :)    Took herself off to bed quite happily and was last checked at 11:20 last night fast asleep with her head under her wing on the perch.

Let them out this morning and she didn't appear  :unsure:  - opened back door of coop and she was up on the perch preening her bottom  :)   (hadn't been bothering) Grabber her out and gave her another dose of Baytril, she jumped on my back when I was mucking the coops out (much more like her and she hasn't been bothering at all)

Fetched them some dandelions, cabbage and broccoli and she came pelting over and ran off with some cabbage  :D  so looking much better this morning.

Fingers crossed she carries on improving

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 08:28 »
Oh good that sounds very promising , fingers and toes crossed  :D

xx
Poorly chook!

Started by new chooks on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post February 27, 2008, 21:43
by new chooks
xx
Poorly Chook

Started by azubah on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 30, 2008, 09:14
by azubah
xx
poorly chook

Started by atsndave on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 17:34
by henamoured
xx
poorly chook

Started by rocks on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 23, 2009, 13:47
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 29 queries.