poorly rooster and mucky hens!!

• 21 Replies

Foxy

Re: poorly rooster and mucky hens!!
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 08:53 »
The flagyl should have made a difference by now. I am wondering whether he has a secondary infection. Might be useful for the vet to take a swab to see if there is anything growing, he might benefit from a course of Baytril. A natural probiotic yogurt will also be good. I am also thinking Nystatin an anti fungal might be helpful as his crop might be a bit sour due to his illness which will make him feel quite under the weather.
Finally, another option, which will make him feel more comfotable is some Metacam from the vet also, this is an antinflammatory.
You could ask your vet for these, however, if he doesn't show improvement and still looks unwell the kindest thing for him will be to say goodbye.
Good luck!

brenda

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 12:01 »
Thanks foxy
Rusty's breath actually smells bad, I tried giving him a bit of the yogurt the other day mixed with some seed, he was not impressed he actually gaged on it!
I have baytrill at home, can I mix this in his water as well as the flagyl?, or do I give it to him separately ? How much water should be mixed with each of these?
Sorry for all the questions but I will give him another week and then if no improvement I get him put down.
Brenda

The flagyl should have made a difference by now. I am wondering whether he has a secondary infection. Might be useful for the vet to take a swab to see if there is anything growing, he might benefit from a course of Baytril. A natural probiotic yogurt will also be good. I am also thinking Nystatin an anti fungal might be helpful as his crop might be a bit sour due to his illness which will make him feel quite under the weather.
Finally, another option, which will make him feel more comfotable is some Metacam from the vet also, this is an antinflammatory.
You could ask your vet for these, however, if he doesn't show improvement and still looks unwell the kindest thing for him will be to say goodbye.
Good luck!

Foxy

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 13:50 »
If his breath smells bad, just stop the flagl and start the baytril. tbh the liquid baytril would be much better for him  you would use a syringe and know that he has had it.
Try and get some Nystatin for him too, that will help a lot. :)

brenda

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 22:05 »
Thanks again Foxy
I went to the vet and got the baytril and started him on it this evening I asked  about the nystatin, they had never heard of it. As I have said before I live in a rural area of Co Fermanagh the vets about here have very little interest in hens they mainly treat sheep and cattle thats where the big bucks are made.
Would I have to inject the matacam? because they asked me if I was willing to inject rusty, I said I wouldn't but they did offer me something else {looked like it was for cats and dogs} but they said it was off license and I would have to add the tiniest little spot into his drinking water, it was a anti inflamatory.
I also gave rusty some more pro biotic yogurt by syringe (mixed berry flavour!) he liked it! We also put a radiator into his house he was in a lot better form this evening, even looking to get out.
 Only for this site,  I don't know what I would do. Thanks for everything  :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 22:24 »
my chuck when she was poorly had metacam, you give it to them in a syringe via their mouths. They like the taste as apparently it's honey flavoured. I had to give mine enough for a 7.5kg dog as chickens have a higher metabolic rate than dogs. but as the vet says it isn't licensed for chickens. Hope your cockerel gets better soon.
Nyastatin is for fungal infestions like thrush, surprised your vet hasn't heard of it.
Staffies are softer than you think.

brenda

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2009, 08:08 »
Hi all
Just to let you all know my little rooster rusty, passed away yesterday morning in his sleep.
Brenda

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2009, 08:11 »
oh so sorry Brenda, you did everything you could for him. Hugs xx

xx
Mucky Hens !

Started by Blobbs on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 13, 2012, 18:37
by Blobbs
xx
Do my hens think I'm a rooster?

Started by CoopersCoop on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 20, 2012, 12:11
by cheekychick22
xx
4 hens plus a rooster added to flock

Started by french bob on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 16:18
by french bob
question
4 sneezing hens + rooster! UPDATE!! Now terrible rattles and wheezing! HELP!

Started by freebirdy on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 14, 2011, 13:53
by kegs

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 28 queries.