4 sneezing hens + rooster! UPDATE!! Now terrible rattles and wheezing! HELP!

• 3 Replies

freebirdy

• I'd rather be insane than boring!
Hi there!
I've now got 4 out of my 8 hens sneezing and my rooster has also stared sneezing. He is also making a squarking sound. I've heard him do this a few times before ever since I've had him. Always thought he was just calling out to his girls.
However today he's now sneezing and squarking lots! All of them are eating and drinking perfectly fine. Doing all the normal things, scratching around, dust bathing, preening etc etc. None of them seem down in the dumps or inactive.
I've checked their breathing, no rattles of sniffs, no runny eyes or nasal discharge.
Could it just be seasonal being as the cold wet weather is now with us?
Oh they've all been flubenvetted in the last month, done every 3 months.
Any ideas people?
Update to this post. Kept a close eye on things yesterday, after the birds all went to roost, I ws still out in the garden way after dark. I could hear Worzel (rooster) still sqaurking and coughing even in the hen house.
This morning he was last to coe out into the garden. He has a terrible rattle and wheeze. I can hear it even when not stood near him. He is coughing and making this awful squark still. He is eating and drinking still, no nasal discharge or eye discharge but he rattle and wheeze has develped since I posted yesterday!  :(
As a matter of interest, he has now crowed since Thursday. Just coughs and squarks continually.
I've been i touch with the breeder, they said leave it if he is still eating and drinking, don't rush him to a vet! But I can't help worrying! I kept popping out all thru the night to check on him! I'm cream crackered now, been up half the night!  :(
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 09:38 by freebirdy »
1 fiance, 3 kids, 1 fish, 1 cat, 9 poland bantams, 6 Barbu de Watermael, 2 allotment plots and not enough time!

kegs

I think a trip to the vet might be necessary as soon as they open.  Let us know how you get on.

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
Sounds like a respiratory infection spreading through the flock.  Best get to the vets and get some antibiotics for them.

kegs

How are they all this morning?

xx
hen/rooster update

Started by stef Batterbee on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post December 22, 2011, 08:41
by Sassy
xx
Do my hens think I'm a rooster?

Started by CoopersCoop on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 20, 2012, 12:11
by cheekychick22
xx
poorly rooster and mucky hens!!

Started by brenda on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 08:11
by joyfull
xx
4 hens plus a rooster added to flock

Started by french bob on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 16:18
by french bob

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 36 queries.