Poorly Purple chicken with a pic.

• 31 Replies

Hawkins

Poorly Purple chicken with a pic.
« on: May 17, 2009, 21:14 »
Please dont shout at me I know I have been asking loads of questions lately but I still have issues with my chicken.

Here she is.

Currently named purple chicken because I have sprayed her with purple spray to keep a close eye on her.

This is the one I think may have sour crop but not all the pieces fit into the puzzle.

Runny watery poo.
crop is empty and squishy but doesnt feel over enlarged
eating a bit
drinking seems normal

She has been on baytril for 5 days and having probiotic yougurt for the same period. She is a little better but I wouldnt say worse.

There is no smell coming from her mouth and no discharge.

I havent taken her to the vet yet mainly because he isnt a chicken expert i dont feel i cvan trust his diagnosis.

Can anyone tell from her picture if they think it is definately sour crop or could it be something else.

sorry I know I have been posting about this a lot but thought a picture may help. Dont shout at me please.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 16:33 by Hawkins »
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Vember

Re: Sorry yet another chicken question with a pic.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 21:46 »
It's really tricky to tell from the pic Em, but she does look down in the dumps :(

Does her crop feel the same morning and night?

Sarah :)

Hawkins

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 21:56 »
yeah, morning and night it feels the same,

Im no chicken expert as you know, but I thought the crop was further down, the bit that fills up with food or in this case doesnt.

This just feels as if her whole neck is tucked in. But she isnt always like this, sometimes she walks around perfectly normal and you wouldnt know she is unwell, hence why I have sprayed her purple.

Its gone on too long now im goign to see which vet is on tomorrow and bite the bullet. Not knowing is worse than anything else.

Spadefighter

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 21:59 »
Good luck, hope the vet can help.

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 22:35 »
She does look hunched doesn't she? :(  The fact she is drinking is good, by the sound of her poops not eating very much, keep an eye on her droppings( particulary if watery but with a lot of white)so it could be a few other things possibly unrelated to her crop. I think keeping on with the baytril and yoghurt is a good thing, plus what a good idea spraying her purple! :) :)
Is she still laying em??? Also, while your observing her have a good look in her mouth to see if there are any clues in there, like cheesy ulcer like sores. Finally, how fit was she when you first had her?Do you remember if she was heavy or not?Sorry for all the questions (back at you! :D)
 has she lost any weight since?Keep us posted with any symptoms and we will all put our thinking caps on! :)

raeburg

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 22:43 »
Is she breathing OK?  She reminds me of Runner Chicken when she had egg peritonitis.  Is her abdomen hard or soft?  If it's hard it could be that.

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 22:53 »
excellent  point raeburg! A condition not uncommon in exbatts

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 09:50 »
like cheesy ulcer like sores.

Foxy,
What  would cheesy ulcer like sores indicate, please?  So much to learn...so much to learn.
Thanks, cathangirl

Hawkins

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 12:25 »
Were off to the vets today at 15:30, I have printed of Foxys advice about Mystatin and dosage. Just going to look for the dosageon baytril now for more ammo.

She looks really poorly today, poo very watery, she has eaten her yougurt. she was eating and drinking yesterday but not eating a lot. She just sat there today looking very ill. Im kicking myself I know I should have taken her to the vet sooner. Im seeing the head vet so hopefully he should know his stuff, but got loads of advice from here so waiting to see.

She has lost weight is definately lighter today.
her breathing is fine.
no lumps between her legs.
has improved very little from when we first had her from the ex bats.
still no smell or discharge from anywhere.

will have to check for cheesy lumps in her mouth, What does it mean if I find some.

Off to set up chicken intesnsive care, so any ideas between now and 1500ish post here it gives me more ammo with the vet

Chuckles

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 12:45 »
Hi Em,  no more ammo sorry....just wanted to wish you luck!  Keep us posted x

Hawkins

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 16:32 »
well me and purple chicken have been to the vet. Quite good vet I think said he had seen quite a few chickens.

he says  defo not sour crop as it is empty and not swollen and no smell and no cheesy lumps in the mouth.

He thinks she has just picked up a bug and is very poorly.

He gave her a 50/50 chance and baytril. He was very impressed that we knew how much she needed  ( nice one foxy) and he did look up all sorts in his book. Listened to her chest gave her a good feel and poke. Says she is all hunched up because she is cold and feeling sorry for herself. I feel sorry enough for both of us. 
So she is at home in chicken intensive care under the heat lamp with food and mash. Vet thought she could basically eat whatever she wants to to keep her strength up but just want to ask what others think.
so Can she have whatever she wants to eat?

Hawkins

Re: Poorly Purple chicken with a pic.
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 16:34 »
Oops nearly forgot her breathing is a bit heavy but he thinks it is just the strain of it all, with her being poorly and that. No raspy or watery just a bit of effort.

raeburg

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 18:37 »
Oops nearly forgot her breathing is a bit heavy but he thinks it is just the strain of it all, with her being poorly and that. No raspy or watery just a bit of effort.

Runner's breathing was laboured (not wheezy but just hard work) with peritonitis, she wasn't lumpy but her whole abdomen was hard.  When the vet aspirated the fluid off it was suprising how much came out of one little hen...  She was one baytril for 2 weeks.  She's really well now but hasn't laid since and has caught broodiness from the silkies :)  Hope everything is going OK

Hawkins

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 20:42 »
Just been to check on purple and she looks loads better already. She is standing fully under the heat lamp as if she is sun bathing.

She has just had some yougurt for her tea and then wandered back over and settled under the lamp again. She gave me a chuckle and shut her eyes to sleep..

Ill check her again later before bed time and there is cctv in the shed for me to keep an eye on her.

Foxy

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 21:33 »
Keep a real close eye on her Em, but she might not make it. Food wise avoid anything high in protein just now - like catfood, but sweetcorn and a warm mash is fine, plus the yoghurt.
Keep a very close eye on her breathing, if she is laying internally, it wont be rattly or wheezy but will just seem "laboured" with a tightening and swelling gradually of her abdomen.
She sounds in the best place Em, nice and warm and being spoilt rotten! :)

xx
poorly chicken?

Started by stef Batterbee on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 17, 2011, 17:07
by stef Batterbee
xx
Poorly chicken

Started by alisonwo on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post November 21, 2010, 22:25
by Holly Carney
xx
Poorly chicken

Started by sorrel on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 23, 2007, 18:05
by Vivian
xx
Chicken poorly?????

Started by chicken little on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 18:21
by chooksbury

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 36 queries.