Yellowing cucumbers

• 9 Replies

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Yellowing cucumbers
« on: May 11, 2009, 22:19 »
My cucumbers have started to yellow from the ground up. I planted them out into the greenhouse beds about a fortnight ago, four lovely healthy plants now 3 are yellow nearly all the way up only the top shoots are green. They are in a heated greenhouse but I've not shaded it yet.
Any ideas?

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

peterjf

Re: Yellowing cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 22:35 »
sounds as if you got root problems , maybe damaged as planted or you got a but in the soil,

still plenty of time to start again, try taking out oine failing cuc and look at the roots for damage or find the little bugxxx , cucs only need 16-20 degrees

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 22:41 »
I had the same last year and found some fat bugs chewing through the stems just below ground level :ohmy: Put them in pots the next time and they were alright then it's a pain tho :(

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 10:32 »
Cheers I'll have a look, don't really want to have to re-sow they cost £4+ just for the 4 seeds  :blink:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 11:49 »
Are they planted a bit "raised"?

Stems are very susceptible to basal rot, so having them in a bit of a mound, and not planting them deeper than the original pot, can help get the water to run away from the stem.

Sorry, I'm sure I am stating what you already know ...

I don't prick mine out deep either - on the basis that the stem from seed to seed-leaves is designed to be buried I leave that above grown in the hope that it is tougher than the normal growing stem above that point.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 11:51 »
"Put them in pots the next time and they were alright then it's a pain tho"

I saw a picture recently of a pot-on-top-of-a-pot - the upper pot was bottomless (like ring culture) and the lower pot was the actual growing pot.  Would work the same on the soil I'm sure. Was intended to reduce watering at the stem (I think the person was feeding at the top, watering at the bottom), and also to make it harder for slugs etc to climb up.

janiejakemum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 11:53 »
When i bought my new water butt yesterday from Wilkinsons i had a look around and was surprised to see cucumber seeds for 99p i also paid £4 for my packet, that was my first trip to Wilko's but i reckon i'll be back soon.

Mowhay

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 12:28 »
I use the plastic cups from the water machine with a couple of holes in the bottom in the pots of cucumbers as below and water into them to avoid any dampness near the stems. I know others use 3 inch pots but the plastic cups are cheaper ??

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 13:03 »
My cucumbers have started to yellow from the ground up. I planted them out into the greenhouse beds about a fortnight ago, four lovely healthy plants now 3 are yellow nearly all the way up only the top shoots are green. They are in a heated greenhouse but I've not shaded it yet.
Any ideas?

try a pinch of sulphate of ammonia around the base and water in.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 21:01 »
Thanks for the ideas I lifted one today no grubs, but there was a couple of small slugs and young woodlice, so that kind of indicates somethings not right, also it has made very little if any root growth. I'm  not sure where if I have , gone wrong. I had them in pots before this so I'm wondering if the cooler soil temp of the greenhouse border has stopped their growth.

xx
Mangetout yellowing

Started by gazza975526570 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 20:51
by DD.
xx
Yellowing Garlic

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 03, 2009, 20:41
by Lardman
xx
yellowing garlic

Started by lilou on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 19:51
by DavidT
xx
Yellowing chillis.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 22:41
by peapod

Page created in 1.118 seconds with 30 queries.