Yellowing chillis.

• 8 Replies

Kate and her Ducks

Yellowing chillis.
« on: May 04, 2009, 12:09 »
I have a collection of chilli plants that I have grown from seed (cayenne, jalapeno, Joe's long) and they are not in 13cm pots in an unheated plastic greenhouse thing in full sun. They are still pretty small but they have now started looking a bit yellow rather than green. What am I doing wrong?
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Cazzy

Re: Yellowing chillis.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 12:54 »
Mine done the same this year, they started off a really healthy green then gradually yellowed but are now about 3in high and turning green again.

Have no idea whats going on.
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 13:08 »
Did you pot up in seed compost Kate? They may have run out of nutrients
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

george007

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 13:14 »
if it's not to much water

it could be a fungal attack of verticillium wilt that can cause the leaves to yellow
it can also stunt the growth.
you will know if you have it . as it spreads the leaves will eventually wilt and drop off.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 13:23 »
They're not in seed compost but they were in those peat pots so I wonder if their roots haven't extended far enough into the new compost to be getting the nutrients. I have started watering with some feed so will see if that helps. They're not very big but the only ones that wilted and lost a couple of leaves did so when I forgot them for a couple of hot days and they dried out (knew the seedlings would suffer the moment I got my ducklings!).

Hopefully they will pick up.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 15:23 »
I have posted this several times already this year...........but i think it's rubbish compost. I am now adding a v little amount of blood fish and bone to the compost for everything apart from seed trays. All my tomatoes and chillies etc began to grow again normally, as soon as i repotted in the 'improved' mix.

I bought 9x75 Lt of Leavingtons so at that price i have to use it..........but am really cross that i have to add anything to it :mad:

Hope yours recover with the extra feeding :)

jb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 15:47 »
For a quick boost I always find that yellowing chillis repond well to a foliar spray with seawed extract although I would combine this with repotting or addition of more soil fertiliser for a long term fix. Remember though that chillis don't like too much fertilising so start off light and only add more if you get no reponse from lower doses

jb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 22:33 »
Also just looking at fatalii chilli site and he suggests that over-watering can cause yellowing of leaves via root problems.
Could it be that you over-watered to compensate for the plants drying out especially in peat pots-remember chillis prefer it on the dry side rather than being over wet.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 22:41 »
Have you broken my chillies kate?   :lol: :lol: :lol:

xx
Mangetout yellowing

Started by gazza975526570 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 20:51
by DD.
xx
Yellowing between the vains.

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 04, 2022, 13:52
by JayG
sad
Garlic Yellowing already

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 14, 2010, 14:15
by Paul Plots
xx
Yellowing beans

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 16:31
by willnbirdie

Page created in 0.658 seconds with 38 queries.