Run floor - to gravel or not to gravel?

• 9 Replies

Bruced

• Experienced Member
Run floor - to gravel or not to gravel?
« on: April 19, 2009, 08:08 »
Hi folks, wonder if anyone has any words of wisdom on this one... The garden is a good size (50'*50') and the soon to be collected chooks will be able to roam free a lot of the time but there is also a small run for them. I don't want it to turn into a mudbath so my options seem to be (1) gravel and wash down / disinfect regularly  (2) something removable like straw or bark chip or (3) roof the run (will they mind the lack of light?) and dirt or dirt / straw?. I am minded to part-roof the run anyway with onduline but any tips greatly appreciated by both man and chicken! Thanks!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: Run floor - to gravel or not to gravel?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 08:41 »
Personally I'd roof the run and stay away from gravel it could be a little harsh on their feet IMHO.  They seem to like a covering of straw to dig about in  :)

Mine hardly ever go onto the gravel patio we have when they are out & about. Mind you mine a confined to barracks for a while I've just reseeded the lawn  ;)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 09:29 »
I agree with Richy. Use corrugated clear plastic roofing instead of onduline. And you can always put softwood bark chippings or straw down to protect the ground a bit. Just rake it out every so often and replace, budget permitting.

Rob 8)

Bruced

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 09:41 »
Thanks so much - that is really helpful. Would you also cover one or more walls?

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 09:47 »
My girls favourite pastime is a good scratch in the pea shingle in the flowerbeds , the trouble is that the heavy shingle can be kicked a loooong way !
Often the first warning of an escapee is the shotgun rattle of shingle on panel fence and i know its time to get the broom out again . :D

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 10:00 »
Thanks so much - that is really helpful. Would you also cover one or more walls?

We have a hedge on the south edge and a large shed on the east so I've just stapled a bit of fleece up to about 2 feet on the south 'face'. They don't tend to worry too much about wind. But I still like to give them somewhere they can shelter.

:lol:  picturing 8doubles' hens kicking up the gravel  :D

Rob 8)

smiler43

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 10:17 »
Hi Bruced.  My run is covered with onduline now and the girls don't mind as they free range in the afternoons.  It makes it a lot easier keeping the run dry.  We used to have to put a tarp over the old run as when it rained it got very soggy.  I use wood chip on the floor of the run (theres a small amount of gravel still in there too)it's very easy to poo pick and rake over.  I sprinkle Stalosan F on the fun floor too to keep it sweet.  Mine love the gravel, we have it down the border between raliway sleepers and they love to dig around in it.  In the old run they had half gravel, half wood chip and loved both :D

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 10:27 »
I have bark chips ontop of soil! When it was really wet i put some straw down BUT it made the run really smelly!? so havent used it since, added more bark and it smells ok again
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 10:40 »
A corrugated clear roof and bark chips in my run too.

They do enjoy a bit of shelter from the prevailing wind and rain, so we have about a two foot high corrugated plastic strip along the outside of the run on that side.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 10:42 by Aunt Sally »

Bruced

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 18:08 »
A few trips to Wickes later and the run has a corrugated pvc roof, and anti-rat devices in teh forms of slabs under the coop and a wire mesh floor and skirt. Yet to decide on the flooring material but it's C-2 weeks so time to make my mind up. I'm off for a beer now- doing all that lot and fending off three under 4s was no fun ;-) Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

xx
Wet Gravel?

Started by BML on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 17, 2011, 08:05
by ehs284
xx
What type of gravel to use in the run?

Started by Bruced on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2009, 17:18
by Spadefighter
xx
gravel as flooring?

Started by brownp on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 20:24
by jhub
question
Run floor

Started by Oakdalebirds1 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 23, 2013, 21:42
by joolz68

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 28 queries.