help needed on raised bedding

• 9 Replies

dawnj

help needed on raised bedding
« on: April 17, 2009, 16:33 »
Hi.........I'm in the process in completing the 1st stages of raised beds they are built and now need filled with top soil and??????? this is where I'm stuck, we have been given bags of old manure too, I'm growing the norm, cabbage,leeks, onions,sweetcorns,beens, peas and so on, three beds in total. When trying to do my reserch on the internet to find out what else should go in I read something different every time, I would appreciate some good advice on what and how much should go in my beds to get a good crop.  ::)

thanks

shifty

Re: help needed on raised bedding
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 17:13 »
Hit
 This is my second year at it. Last year I put a raised bed in and had a great crop of tatties (desiree ), beetroot and carrots. I'm not an expert at this game, infact i'm a million miles from it but if I were you I would get tatties, onions, carrots in. I also grew alot of stuff in containers. Broad beens and peas were truly awsome. Get them in and have fun watching them grow and then scoff them, doesnt get any better!!!! :D

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 17:21 »
I filled mine with a mixture of topsoil, sharp sand, compost, manure and any used compost from pots.  I used what I could afford at the time.  You don't need to fill them right up to the top as you will be adding to them over the years.

Peas and beans love manure, root crops hate it.
Cheese makes everything better.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 18:30 »
oops sorry dawn i moved your other post here too....I'll delete it pronto
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Mr McGregor

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 18:09 »
I agree with ICE, mine have a mixture of topsoil, manure, sand and old potting compost. They are fileed about two thirds and I will be adding some horse manure in the autumn

David.

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 21:27 »
Hi.........I'm in the process in completing the 1st stages of raised beds they are built and now need filled with top soil and??????? this is where I'm stuck, we have been given bags of old manure too, I'm growing the norm, cabbage,leeks, onions,sweetcorns,beens, peas and so on, three beds in total...........................

Why do you need to grow these in raised beds?

It's just that, as I have clay soil, I only bother with raised beds for planting overwintering/permanent crops that would be adversely affected by the poor drainage (if grow directly in open ground).

dawnj

raised bedding
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 21:56 »
Hi... today we filled our beds with topsoil and manure, on a previous post I was told manure wasn't good for roots veg, what would I put in the bed with the top soil for my root veg?

thanks

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 22:01 »
I merged your two topics Dawn as the subject matter was the same.

peterjf

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 22:46 »
mine was all mixed last autumn, october - november and then turned over in february this year

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: raised bedding
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 05:57 »
Hi... today we filled our beds with topsoil and manure, on a previous post I was told manure wasn't good for roots veg, what would I put in the bed with the top soil for my root veg?

thanks

Just the top soil wll be fine. Root veg such as carrots do not need much in the way of nutrients
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
more help needed over raised beds

Started by -Cat- on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 22:11
by richyrich7
xx
help needed on making raised beds

Started by Sandy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 20, 2006, 19:33
by stompy
xx
advice needed - veg for raised beds

Started by big green bloke on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 06, 2024, 10:48
by New shoot
xx
raised bed crop rotation, help needed.

Started by mtoyne on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 10, 2008, 21:37
by mtoyne

Page created in 0.647 seconds with 28 queries.