sick girl

• 51 Replies

karlooben

sick girl
« on: April 16, 2009, 19:13 »
one of my girls who is really sick with what feels like a very swollen tummy wont be making it though the nite i got brave an stuck a finger in her but shes so swollen that i cant feel anything but neither could the vet yesterday . her breathing is getting faster shes on antiboitics but i dont kow what else i could do  :( i cant bring myself to kill her but if she dies durign the night my other poorly girl wil be with her tell 6 am . :( :( i cant beleive how ==== i feel :( :( and i am very angry at myself for letting things get like this
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

shiatsusu

Re: sick girl
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 19:23 »
Oh Looby how horrid for you  :( Not sure from the medical point about what more you can do but if it were me I'd be thinking as positive as I could and channeling all of those positive thoughts plus lots of love, light and healing into her. You never know... x

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 19:33 »
i have just been back out with her an gave her water though  a drip with a tab more antiboitic in it , if she makes it though the night i will be shocked  but her belly feels like its got a football in there .

shiatsusu

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 19:34 »
Is it a tumour?

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 19:42 »
i reckon it mite be as it feels solid .

i've just been reading up on mareks and i think i am getting myself totally paranoid about them having that  as my other one is eating an drinking but shes having troulbe standing up and the wings are floppy .

what makes things worse is i dont have anyone close by who knows much about chickens to ask for thier help .

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 19:49 »
oh dear, it sounds something like sterile peritonitis and she is swollen with fluids and could be backed up with eggs. This would explain her laboured breathing. Difficult to know without seeing her but she sounds very poorly.
looby the kindest thing is to take her back and have her quietly put to sleep, I am so, so sorry but it sounds like she is suffering  :( :(

shiatsusu

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 19:53 »
If it's a tumour and got to that stage I'm afraid there probably isn't much more you can do for her other than make her as comfortable as possible and give her lots of love and reassurance through touch. Is it possible they have access to something that is affecting their nervous system, or might it be a viral infection (although virus prob wouldn't explain the lump) in view of your other hen behaving as you describe?

Just read Foxy's post while typing this, she knows far more chickeny stuff than me so I would think it's good advice Looby. x

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 19:53 »
Oh Looby!  :( really feel for you and your poorly girl! If it was me I would be downing a bottle of wine right now, ready to go and put an end to her suffering!  :( that is the only way I could do it i think!
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 19:55 »
sorry! forgot to send you loads of hugs  :( xxx

karlooben

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 20:03 »
i am going to the vets in the morning at about 10 am after  the cars mot to pay of the bill so if shes still alive i will take her with me .
the vet the other day did suggest peritonitis an he felt she would recover from it but i dont think so . i am sitting here crying as i really feel like i am doing something wrong tonight i have been all round the run diging out any bulbs an plants i can find clearing all around the outside as well . { theres loads of bulbs or was as the ppl who had the plot before me planted tons of them } .

my otehr 15 girls are eating well an non seem at all ill  :D i hope it stays that way . but i feel that i have leant my lesson the hard way by getting so many girls in one go but i am learning on what to look out for each time something goes wrong , all i know is i wont be rushing to rescue any more birds for now i want to learn more before i do that .

karlooben

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 20:04 »
thankyou CH  . i got them :D

shiatsusu

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 20:09 »
I guess when you rescue chooks from a tough life there is always the chance of some not making it no matter what you do. Don't beat yourself up honey, you're be careful and taking good care of them - you've just inherited problems. x

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 20:17 »
Yeah! dont beat yourself up! you are giving them girlies a 2nd chance and its not your fault that some wont make it! dont cry! we are all here for you! xxx

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 20:31 »
That chicken is really suffering and in a lot of pain looby. !!!!

She has sterile egg peritonitis as Foxy says and no amount of love and light or happy thoughts are going to relieve that pain shiatsusu. 

I'm sorry to be cross with you but I have had a girl like that and the vet said she was suffering terribly.  Get her to the vet as soon as you possibly can if you can't do the deed yourself or find someone who can.  :(

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 20:35 »
i'm sorry looby: it's really stressful to be in this situation.  :(

fingers crossed that she dies peacefully in her sleep and doesn't have to go through any more trauma.

but i have to agree with auntie - get her to the vet first thing; it's not fair to let her suffer.

(and cry as much as you need to - it does help...)

big hugs xxxxx

xx
old sick girl

Started by LisaB on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 06, 2008, 16:19
by Aunt Sally
xx
got my sick girl back

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post January 11, 2009, 15:47
by karlooben
xx
fox took one girl

Started by treecol on The Hen House

31 Replies
Last post June 28, 2015, 09:42
by Sassy
xx
old girl

Started by redjane11 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 11, 2007, 11:52
by redjane11

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 28 queries.