old sick girl

• 12 Replies

LisaB

old sick girl
« on: July 22, 2008, 06:22 »
I have an older Bantam hen (between 10-12 yrs of age) who has not been feeling well.  She began slowly panting this past weekend with a bit of tail droop and some unsteadiness.  I have isolated her in a warm ventilated coop with a light.  She is eating, drinking and voiding normally.  Her condition has not worsened or improved.  Due to her age, I am just watching her and keeping her comfortable.  My other hen and two new chicks appear healthy.  Is this normal for an older hen?  Have you seen this condition before?
Thank you.
Lisa (new to your site)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
old sick girl
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 07:25 »
Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the forums, I'll move this post to "The Hen House", where it will probably be seen by more people in the know.

Please pop back to the "Welcome" forums & introduce yourself.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
old sick girl
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 08:32 »
Hi Lisa and welcome.

My goodness she is OLD.  Have a good listen to her breathing, if it is rattly she may have a respiratory infection and might benefit from antibiotics (even at her age).  I presume she's not laying eggs at her age so we can rule out an eggy problem.

If she's not rattly, or does not have a raised temperature compared to the other hens, then it may be as you say - old age  :(

Let us know how she goes on !

poultrygeist

old sick girl
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 09:23 »
Welcome Lisa.

Well done for getting her to a ripe old age. You must be doing everything right. Or is it just the Alaskan air that suits her  :)

I hope she gets over her problems swiftly.

Rob  8)

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
old sick girl
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 09:32 »
Oh bless her, I think you are probably doing everything you can for her.

LisaB

sick old girl
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 16:56 »
Thank you all so much for the speedy reply.  I checked the sound of the breathing, no rattle.  She does want to come out of the coop for short spells, then goes back into the coop to be by the light (It is also very cool here right now, long rainy stretch and only around 50 degrees F).  Still no change for better or worse.  We unfortunately, do not have a vet familiar with poultry in the area.  I plan to call our neighboring town vet clinic and a hatchery today.

How do you check for temperature?  She feels normal to the touch. I also checked her crop evening to morn - seems normal, no unusual hardness, lumps etc.  She is not too thin, still feel some muscle mass around the breast, legs, etc.

Jellyhead

old sick girl
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 18:02 »
Hi LisaB, My cat Tilly is 17 which is quite old for a cat. She just spends her time sleeping and doing all she can to get peace and quiet :) perhaps your old chooky just wants the same. If she is eating and drinking and going out sometimes then HOPEFULLY and everything crossed over here, thats all it is. Old and grumpy and wanting peace and quiet :roll: Bless
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

LisaB

old sick girl
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 06:28 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Hi Lisa and welcome.

My goodness she is OLD.  Have a good listen to her breathing, if it is rattly she may have a respiratory infection and might benefit from antibiotics (even at her age).  I presume she's not laying eggs at her age so we can rule out an eggy problem.

If she's not rattly, or does not have a raised temperature compared to the other hens, then it may be as you say - old age  :(

Let us know how she goes on !

Hello and my appreciation to you for your kind support this past couple of weeks.  I am sad to report my old sick chicken girl passed away after 4 days of illness (drooping tail, slight panting and a bit unsteady on her feet from time to time). Her name was Miss Peepers, a lovely white Japanese Bantam of around 10 years. She lived with us her entire life and brought us much joy. I have three remaining hens (two spring chicks and another older hen of 8 years). All are doing well, however the older hen appears to miss her friend. She was quite anxious to be separated from her during her illness. She recently started perching outside of the coop making a loud sound, nearly rooster like.  This has been going on for the past week a couple of times a day.  Quite unlike her.  The corvid family of birds (jays, ravens, magpies) exhibit grieving like behaviors when a mate or young offspring dies.  I wonder if she is calling out to her companion.  

Some of you have remarked on her age.  I hope it is because of milder temperatures, good diet, free range in our yard when we are home, and a cozy well insulated and heated, small coop.  I keep a small flock to lower their stress levels also.  Occassionally one or more of my hens becomes very tame.  Ms Peepers was one of them.  My girls have also gone to school to teach about chickens and encourage literacy (we read chicken stories and act out simple chicken skits).  They have also taken part in therapy groups to encourage new hobbies for adults recovering from psychiatric illness.  Very special girls.

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
  • ooo i make a good lookin Zombie...
    • Fanciful Faces
old sick girl
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 08:17 »
i was sorry to hear your news LisaB... she sounds like she really was an important part of your family life. At least you have the pleasure of knowing that with your love and caring she made it through to a ripe old age, and was obviously very happy....what more could any of us ask for? sending hugs your way.

compostqueen

old sick girl
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 08:47 »
Sniff  :cry:   Very sorry to hear about your girl but a good way to go, not being ill but being cared for and loved to the end. Some humans don't get that do they  :(   She had a very good life by the sound of it so must have been very happy  :D

I always think of Alaska as being freezing  :D

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
old sick girl
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 09:16 »
LisaB - How sad! Big hugs to you and her special friend. Hope she is starting to build up a new friendship with one of the others.

Like TMG said - Miss Peepers probably had more love and compassion shown in her life (and death) than a lot of people get.

Take care.

FCG

old sick girl
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 16:14 »
Very sad lisab, she obviously was a very fond pet. She must of had a grand life and lots of love and comfort to live to 10 years of age. Go on and get yourself some chicks.. they'll brighten it up for you.

Good luck with the rest of your flock and it is very sweet her 'friend' is mourning her.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
old sick girl
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 16:19 »
Thanks for telling us about your girls Lisa !

I hope Miss Peepers friend makes some new friends soon  :D

xx
sick girl

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

51 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 06:22
by karlooben
xx
got my sick girl back

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post January 11, 2009, 15:47
by karlooben
xx
Girl or boy?

Started by symonep on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 12:22
by symonep
xx
fox took one girl

Started by treecol on The Hen House

31 Replies
Last post June 28, 2015, 09:42
by Sassy

Page created in 0.455 seconds with 28 queries.