crust on seed bed

• 16 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
crust on seed bed
« on: April 06, 2009, 15:48 »
well i've been moaning that my red spring onions hadn't germinated but i think i know why now :(

i gently stirred a little bit of the sown row to see what was what.....and it seems as if a thin 'crust' has formed at the top stopping the seedlings from emerging.

How do i get arround this next time? was thinking of using some bought compost in the seed drill...but this is so light and fluffy won't it just blow away....i'm really puzzled :wacko:

Trillium

Re: crust on seed bed
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 15:51 »
After seeding and watering, top the seed trays with a bit of plain sharp sand or even perlite. They keep the surface from crusting and also minimizes fungus.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 15:58 »
It's in the garden beds that i have the problem Trillium, inside seedlings are fine.
It's just i prefer to sow spring onions thickly direct and eat some and leave some to bulb. they're a lot of faffing around to get enough from seed trays.

My soil already feels quite sandy/gritty so i'm surprised at what has happenned :(

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 16:03 »
You can still apply a strip of sand directly over the seeded area outside. It needn't be thick, a quarter inch will do (.3cm). Its just enough to block the crusting action and keep the seeds from washing away.

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 16:06 »
I agree with Trillium, sand would be fine. I sometimes use a thin layer of John Innes compost too, but find that peat based compost can cap too.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 16:08 »
Thank you will try again when replacement seeds arrive..........

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 16:10 »
Peat is notorious for crusting and I'd never use anything containing peat as a 'topper'. Seeds would need their own hammer and chisels to get free of it  :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 18:48 »
I try to keep the surface like dust before sowing and then water very lightly if it look a bit hard. Could it have happened as we have had so little rain?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 18:59 »
I have been watering through rose on watering can, don't know if this has helped or hindered cos without the watering they might have grown through the dust ???

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 19:51 »
Oh, that's that idea no use then, sorry. Perhaps the sand idea will be more use. Hope so  :)

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 20:52 »
Hi, don't water over the seeded rows, it'll cap every time. Pull out your drills and water your drills sow your seeds and pull the dry earth over, the dry earth keeps your drills wet and you will never have capping.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 21:18 »
Well i did that at planting time :) but in the 3 weeks since it's been very dry and in my soil there was no way that 1/2 in down was still going to be damp enough for germination without further watering:( It's like dust this year :ohmy:
Never mind i'll try again and were forcast  some rain this week so might stand more chance. Will do 1/2 row with sand and see what happens ......if still no grow i'll do rest in trays (it's a pain but can't do without me spring onions :lol:)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 21:20 »
Yes, so did I Mumofstig and like you did some gentle watering but I have seedlings popping up now. Maybe somehting to do with the soil makeup -- sand does seem sensible  :)

Stripey_cat

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 22:48 »
If you're worried about water, water down either side of the drills - the drill itself won't cap, but half an inch down the water will have spread sideways.  The sand thing works well, too (especially for broadcast seed, where avoiding watering right over the seed isn't an option).

Salmo

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 23:01 »
Watering or rain, followed by dry weather, will form a cap on many soils. Once a cap has formed you need to water and continue to keep the soil damp until the seedlings push through. Water in the evening so that the seedlings have until all night to come through before the sun bakes the surface again. Maybe pray for rain.

question
Runner bean seed directly in ground and plant root/seed attacks

Started by harwood7pccc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 17:26
by diggerjoe
xx
Cheap seed trays and seed offers

Started by Parsnip on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 07:49
by lucywil
xx
spring onion seed and rocket seed

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 10:19
by AmandaLouise
xx
Seed Bed

Started by brucesgirl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 05, 2007, 20:50
by brucesgirl

Page created in 0.481 seconds with 39 queries.