Seed Bed

• 4 Replies

brucesgirl

Seed Bed
« on: November 05, 2007, 18:30 »
I have a small spare bed which I have decided to use as a seed bed, mainly for starting off brassicas, annual flowers and leeks, as I am useless at growing things in cells or seedtrays. I am successful with peas and beans but others just die off once germinated.
Anyway, I was wondering - does crop rotation apply to a seedbed. If I raise brassica seeds in it one time, should I steer clear of that part the next time.
The soil is lovely and fertile on our plot and I will be digging the bed over regularly and composting it.

muntjac

Seed Bed
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 19:41 »
sorry bruceagirl it doea appy .even with the effort you put in ,the soil borne virus 's etc stay and thrive  :wink:  use the bed as a 3 part rotation system and that should be ok if that is the only seed bed you maintain ,i just move my bed around the garden :wink:
still alive /............

gobs

Seed Bed
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 19:45 »
I tend to do the same, my seed bed is somewhere else almost every year.

And I do brassica seedlings in cold frame, where I change the compost every year. I follow them with fast carrots.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

splodger

Seed Bed
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 20:01 »
ditto to above - i move my seed bed every year - and i too use a cold frame to protect brassicas (in a seperate bed)

it is not that inconvenient to move the seed bed around - as it it so small in comparison to other beds - although it does help if it is large enough to take everything - especially the likes of leeks etc - that stay in the bed for quite a while - but small enough to protect with glass/fleece etc

brucesgirl

Seed Bed
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 20:50 »
Thanks for answering that - I think I will rotate the beds then. I have a couple of little beds that I can alternate on.

question
Runner bean seed directly in ground and plant root/seed attacks

Started by harwood7pccc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 17:26
by diggerjoe
xx
spring onion seed and rocket seed

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 10:19
by AmandaLouise
xx
Cheap seed trays and seed offers

Started by Parsnip on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 07:49
by lucywil
xx
From seed?

Started by Bailz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 09, 2011, 19:48
by JayG

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 28 queries.