Tree Stumps?

• 28 Replies

Lardman

Re: Tree Stumps?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 19:45 »
What should I use to get rid of tree stumps? Any ideas?

They're only baby stumps - what type of trees were they? Get yourself a mattock, a spade and a hand trowel and just dig them out.  Much safer, much less hassle and much cheaper than the alternatives.  You may find a cheap reciprocating saw with some cheap green wood blades handy too.

I've removed so many laylandii stumps I've lost count - if your not growing anything important there afterwards you can just chop anything 18" down and forget about it.

Bombers

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 19:52 »
Dig down around the stump, and get yourself a 'splitter' and blast the laterals. The stump will soon loosen, and you just rock it from side to side until it gives way. ;)
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 19:53 »
Dig down around the stump, and get yourself a 'splitter' and blast the laterals. The stump will soon loosen, and you just rock it from side to side until it gives way. ;)

IMHO this is the best idea yet and I wish I'd thought of it ......
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

poultrygeist

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 20:05 »
quote author=poultrygeist link=topic=33857.[msg405637#msg405637 date=1239041294]
Whilst wearing my high-vis jacket and safety hat, can I just remind folks not to make explosives and definitely not to ignite them !

Public Safety Broadcast ends. :)

Rob 8)

Aaaaaaaawwwwwwwwww........you spoil all our fun!!!!!!!!!!! :blink:  PS do we need cones???????
[/quote]

Only if you're a student on a night out !  :D

Rob 8)

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 20:38 »
Hi, if you are feeling flush, you can use the services of a stump grinder the price isn't bad and it's a lot less work.

LeadFarmer

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 21:38 »
I had a tree surgeon round the other day who removed 5 large stumps with a stump grinder for £200.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/060.jpg

I looked into hiring one myself but they were about £100 per day, plus all the hassle of loading it onto a trailer and then returning it to the shop.

I think the professional stump grinding macines cost a few thousand pounds to buy which is what makes it all an expensive task. But it would have taken me all day to remove just one of them by hand, which I refused to do.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 22:45 »
Brute force works well with small to medium stumps (dig first, then pull!), and arranging pulley systems to haul them out on your own is a good excuse to let your inner boy-scout out to play.  (Seriously, if you like ropes and physics puzzles, a mature tree for an anchor, a coil of rope, a bag of blocks and an old blackthorn hedge will keep you amused for days.)

If you have larger stumps, or want a quicker solution, hire a professional with a stump-grinder, as already suggested.

8doubles

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 23:04 »
If you have a good solid tree for an anchor a tirfor winch will do the trick, the big ones have a 5 ton pull. £20 + a day from a hire firm .

Brambles

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 23:17 »
Last year I got rid of a HUGE Budlea that was in the way and taking over large part of my garden..  After cutting it right down as far as I could, I sprayed middle of stump with roundup (Don't know if that made any difference!)   I hammered in several copper pipes, some did not go in far, some went in a fair way...  There is no sign of the stump now :)

savbo

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 23:26 »
Is the site accessible for small machinery? this is one where I would consider getting a professional -  a tree surgeon with a stump grinder...

M

des

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 23:29 »
ok, you didn't like my crane idea, or my gunpowder idea. how about rope, car and a bit of disregard for your clutch
 :tongue2: :tongue2:

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2009, 23:56 »
I've heard folk say that banging in a few dozen copper nails will help see tree stumps off.  Can you get a vehicle anywhere near them?  We had a huge bushy...shrubby monstrosity in our front garden ....tied a rope round it, attached the other end to a van and out it came.

Failing that, I can rent my husband to you when he's in a really bad mood.....that's how the last tree stump in the garden came out...... ::) :D
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

peterjf

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2009, 00:27 »
chemicals for tree stumps,

i would try drilling holes down the centre of the stumps , about 6 inches deep ,

then pour a 25/75 solution round up to water and pour into holes ,

the liquid must go in the holes within 10 minutes or the holes will start to close up,

the stumps will be as dead as a dodi in 3 months , then pull them out easy peasy,

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2009, 06:41 »
Ive got a tree stump on my plot, its not to big but i was thinking the tufor winch from work and some digging might do the trick.  but its so close to the concreate path and it might do some damage to the path i dont want to get a bill and it would only be me that would cause the damage there.

Im thinking of just leaveing it there with some copper nails and round up in. leaving it between beds cut of below path level.
Thanks
Kris

xx
Getting rid of tree stumps!

Started by Zambezi on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 11, 2011, 13:05
by Dominic
xx
Ground out tree stumps

Started by MulesMarinair on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 02, 2020, 22:48
by Yorkie
xx
Plum suckers? What to do with stumps?

Started by Cirrus on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 19, 2020, 02:04
by Subversive_plot
xx
removing stumps in growing area

Started by Wiltshire Worms on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 31, 2012, 15:40
by Rampant_Weasel

Page created in 0.44 seconds with 28 queries.