Growing herbs from seed

• 22 Replies

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Growing herbs from seed
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 22:46 »
tis not the compost cooperman  :( )I wish!)  Ive had the same problem with different composts year upon year.

Sunshine, this year I havent even covered it with anything, just sprinkled on top and watered it and keeping nice and toasty...so here goes. If no joy then its asda pots everytime I go shopping  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Yabba

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 07:33 »
I've always been naff at growing basil, every time I've tried it just dies on me.

Until this year. We got a batch of really naff compost that just wouldn't hold water at all, not even if you soaked it for hours, so it was always dried out. The basil loved it! It loved it even more when I slapped it on a sunny windowsill in the kitchen and forgot to water it for a week, so now I only water it when it starts to wilt and so far it's going strong ;)

¥

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 19:43 »
tis not the compost cooperman  :( )I wish!)  Ive had the same problem with different composts year upon year.

Sunshine, this year I havent even covered it with anything, just sprinkled on top and watered it and keeping nice and toasty...so here goes. If no joy then its asda pots everytime I go shopping  :D
Good luck -- Asda pots aren;t bad actually  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

sclarke624

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 03:31 »
Try Lemon basil its lovely.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

JulesJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 05:50 »
I've got lime basil (sowed 1st March) and lemon basil (sowed 15th March) on the go. I sprinkled some seeds onto damp compost, covered lightly, put a plastic foodbag over the top, and put the pots on our east-facing windowsill in our not very warm kitchen. They germinated on day 18 and day 11 respectively, and are doing well. I use a lot of basil so I'll sow successionally and move some outdoors when the weather's warmer.

Both parsleys germinated on day 6 in the heated propagator (sowed 15th March) and are pricked out - hadn't heard the trick about boiling water. Garlic chives took 10 days on the windowsill; sowed 1st March. Got pots of lovage, lemon balm and summer savory to prick out. I'll also be sowing chervil, hyssop, rue, sorrel, sweet cicely, as well as the usual culinary ones like dill and coriander. Just don't have much success growing mint from seed, so I'll knock out my established pot and divide it; I'll try my lemon mint seeds though outdoors in May.

sclarke624

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 01:37 »
Jules does the lime basil taste as much of lime as the lemon basil tastes of lemon.

JulesJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 05:46 »
Jules does the lime basil taste as much of lime as the lemon basil tastes of lemon.

Ask me again when I've grown it - this is the first time :) The closest I've got to lime basil before is a unisex lime basil & mandarin perfume by Jo Malone!

sclarke624

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 12:03 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

xx
Growing and looking after herbs - please help

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 08, 2007, 13:25
by Annie
xx
Growing herbs

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 16:58
by compostqueen
xx
Growing Herbs.

Started by Plot 6B on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 16, 2015, 11:23
by lettice
xx
Herbs and growing them indoors.

Started by Riala on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 02:34
by sclarke624

Page created in 0.789 seconds with 36 queries.