what to do?

• 12 Replies

annie2006

what to do?
« on: April 05, 2009, 19:34 »
I have been working on a friends council-run allotment which she just took over 3 weeks ago whilst waiting on the list for one of my own. its a nice large site, was rather overgrown but in the 3 weeks i have been doing it (my friend hasnt actually been down to the site), i have cleared and dug 4 beds (it was all grass before), it has a shed and is fenced round (ideal as i have a toddler), and has a large amount of fruit bushes on it. there is a road runs near it but no way to get a car or trailer actually onto it so it is difficult to drop things off/pick things up.

however, today i have been offered a plot of my own on a private allotment site literally 1 mins walk from the council one. its a bit smaller but not much and is VERY overgrown with a lot of rubbish requiring moving including an old caravan which needs stripping/moving. there isnt much in the way of any plants to inherit, but you can easily get a car and trailer up to it, and it feels a much friendlier place and i think the other allotment holders would be chattier. there is no fence round tho i can build one if i want - however, another friend of mine with 2 small boys has the plot next door complete with mud car track etc which im sure my boy can use too.

the thing is, the girl who's allotment i have been doing has asked if i want it just for me caus she has decided she hasnt the time for it after all, on the same day as me being offered this private one. tho it would still be in her name, she says i can have it indefinitely and now i dont know what to do!

do i continue with my friends and turn down the private one, although there is always the chance that at some point in the future she wants to take it back over/let go of it completely
or do i take the private one even tho it needs so much more work caus its officially 'mine'.
my hubby has suggested i try and do both  :ohmy: note he doesnt do much to help out in the labour department so i would be trying 2 do 2 by myself! i could use my friends whilst i get the new one established and organised for this year and then tell her i dont want it next year once mine is useable. both sites have pros and cons, and the private allotment committee have asked for an answer by tomorrow. help! what should i do?

sorry this post is a bit long  ::)

bailey

• Experienced Member
Re: what to do?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 20:03 »
I guess it depends on how much time you can spare, the ideal situation maybe is the do what you suggest, use the first one to grow things this year and take the year to get the other one how you would exactly like it.

you mayfind someone on the allotments who may want the caravan maybe as a shed or chickens? and will move it for you..

personnally I woldnot be totally happy sharing an allotment.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 20:04 »
If it was me Id take the one offered, in the long term its the perfect solution.  OK setting it up is a pain, but youd be surprised how quickly it gets done. Most importantly it will be YOURS, I would live in fear that someone could take my plot away from me if it wasnt in my name.  Its not up to her to offer you her plot and its very feasible that it could be taken off you (depending how strict the lotty officer is). Fencing is allowed and having a buddy next door would be good for you and your child, when he gets bored he can wander over to chat to his mates  :D You could always sort out a couple of beds on your mates lotty till yours is good to go
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 20:12 »
I'm with Peapod on this, get one in your own name,  ;) 
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Elcie

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 20:17 »
I think you need to go for the one in your name.  Would always be a worry that you would do all of the hard work and then have it taken off you.  Friendships have fallen for less.

Yes, the other one is more work but, eventually, it will be worth it.

annie2006

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 20:18 »
cheers folks.

guess it was my thoughts really too - wud prefer one in my own name, its just gonna be lots of hard work and i needed confirmation i wasnt doing something daft!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 20:25 »
Security for yourself is definitely a good idea, as others have said you have no right of security unless you're a co-tenant on her plot.  And sharing, whilst rewarding, can also be frustrating if one person does more work but has to share the produce.

I assume you've considered issues on the private plot such as water, shade, soil, weeds slope, etc?  And are you happy with the way it is run (private sites run the risk of undemocratic, inconsistent constitutions and application thereof).

You already know how much time and effort it's taken to do your friend's plot.  If you take on the private plot, you'll have to prioritise it - and I think you'll need to be realistic about whether you'll be to maintain your friend's plot too.  Don't run the risk of losing both by spreading yourself too thin.

If for any reason the private plot isn't quite what you want, I assume there's an option of staying on the council waiting list and taking what's offered then (always a gamble, though I can't see you having to get rid of a caravan on your own from a council site - I must say I think the private site is taking the mickey, expecting you to do that on your own...)

Good luck!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

woodburner

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 20:37 »
What are the chances of your getting the council one transferred to your name?
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

annie2006

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 21:03 »
What are the chances of your getting the council one transferred to your name?

i dont know yet but i am going to ask. ive a feeling if she wants to take her name off it, it would automatically go to the next person on the waiting list rather than being able to transfer it to her friend, but it is best to ask the question.

the private site faces west and the council site east. which way is best? neither are shaded by anything really and the soil looks similar - they are literally about 100 footsteps apart.

digalotty

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 21:11 »
get your own then theres no confusion
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

RichardC

• http://www.forums.ilambretta.com/phpBB2/
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 21:57 »
I don't want to run down your friend, but you say she got the plot 3 weeks ago and has now decided she doesn't want it, without even setting foot on it (and having let you dig it for her!!).

Don't know if I would want to be relying on her not to change her mind again and want it back, or maybe advise the Council she no longer wants it. Then where does that leave you?

I would definitely go for the private site. Speak to the owners about the caravan. If they wont shift it, stick an offer post on Freecycle, you may get lucky and someone will come and take it off your hands. Then you can put in as much work as you wish and reap all the benefits, without the risk of losing it all.

Just my thoughts.

Richard
My other Forums Lambretta related

woodburner

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 23:23 »
The friend's actions aren't so unreasonable, after having the plot for a few weeks she has realised that she doesn't really manage to make time for it, so is giving it up but letting her friend carry on.
Technically though it is still her plot, and you are probably in breach of the agreement, so it's safer to explain to the council and depending on how badly you want to keep the plot, either lay it on with a trowel, how hard you've worked and how much you have acheived all on your own etc., or just give the bare facts and be prepared to give it up.

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 08:28 »
i agree with them get one in your own name, someone i know got accused of sub letting and  it was only because someone was keeping it tidy while he was having major heart surgery.

Page created in 0.461 seconds with 36 queries.