Growing herbs

• 18 Replies

samnorfolk

• Experienced Member
Growing herbs
« on: April 26, 2013, 15:28 »
Got loads of herbs to grow this year in a new wooden container i made up, but do i start them off indoors or can they go straight out into the bed and when??

Springlands

Re: Growing herbs
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 15:41 »
It really depends on what you are growing - some like basil do best in a greenhouse - others like parsley can be started off in the GH then hardened off before planting outside. Can you give an idea of what you want to grow and if they are from seeds or plug plants.  :)

samnorfolk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 15:54 »
ive got basil, coriander, thyme, mint, chives, and rosemary all seeds at the minute just not sure what to do with them

Springlands

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 16:17 »
Sam

Basil and coriander are annuals

Basil - needs heat so you need to either grow it in a greenhouse or in your house - you could start it off now.

Coriander - can be started now indoors and then hardened off and planted out or you could just sow direct - but beware it self seeds all over the place if you let it go to seed.

Thyme, mint, chives and rosemary are all perennials - a word of warning about mint - do not plant it in open ground - it is a thug and will take over - I am still trying to get rid of some in one particular plot.

I have never tried growing rosemary from seed but have grown mint, thyme and chives. I would normally start them off in trays indoors, pot them on when they are big enough and then harden off and plant outside. I would imagine that the same routine would work for rosemary.

Do not forget that most herbs like a well drained and sunny position.

samnorfolk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 16:26 »
thanks for that great info!! someone said that i should use 50/50 compost and john innes 2 is that correct?? or would compost on its own be ok..(starts getting expensive)

Springlands

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 16:32 »
I would just use compost but add some horticultural grit as herbs like a free draining soil. I should also have said the the thyme, mint, chives and rosemary are slow growing so you might not get much return in your first year - depends on the growing conditions. The mint would be best grown in a tub because of its spreading habits but you will have to decide where to plant the others because they will be in situ for a while.

You  have not mentioned parsley - one of my favourite herbs - got several pots on the go - just waiting for them to germinate.

samnorfolk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 16:36 »
Yeah forgot about that one im sure ive got the seeds for it also love it and use lots of it so i think tomorrow i will get some modules on the go for the herbs and get cracking!! its my first year of really giving everything a go..so im quite keen to crack on!!

agapanthus

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 23:43 »
It also depends on how much and how many herbs you have in mind. I use a lot of herbs every day, so grow a lot of parsley, about 25 plants, pots and pots of coriander and also rows on the lottie, at least 100 dill plants and numerous varieties of mint, not forgetting loads, and loads of basil (various varieties again) about 25 mixed thyme and not forgetting sage and chives (garlic and white flowering). I'm certain I've missed some out!!! 8)

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 01:18 »
Mint can quickly become rampant so when it's old enough, put it in it's own container that's not sitting near ground level because it will throw out runners that will root in the soil. Ask me why I know this.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 07:21 »
Regarding your query on compost.  Multi-purpose compost does break down and go very dust like after about 12 months, whereas John Innes is much more soil like and has a longer life in containers.

I work in a garden centre and I always tell customers mp compost is better for pots you empty out each year and refill.  JI is better for permanent plantings, although as you have a mix of annual and perennial herbs, you could dig the perennials out each year, refresh the compost and replant  :) 

A 50/50 mix would be a good compromise  :)

Springlands

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 08:48 »
Mint can quickly become rampant so when it's old enough, put it in it's own container that's not sitting near ground level because it will throw out runners that will root in the soil. Ask me why I know this.

Probably for the same reason that I know it - it is still popping up where I do not want it even after 3/4 years of constant digging and even a good spray of roundup.

agapanthus

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 21:19 »

'cos you is a clever girl!!!!!  8) 8) 8)

compostqueen

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 09:43 »
Moroccan mint is a relatively well behaved one but it's more tender so you have to take root cuttings for insurance. How do I know this?  :lol:

I got a supermarket mint at Christmas, you know the ones, all leafy and forced. However, it's still going strong and I've repotted it and it's going mad. It's got biggish leaves which is a bonus. I'm dead chuffed with it as they normally end up becoming exhausted and going into the compost

simbamara

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 14:17 »
agapanthus  I like to grow Oregano,Chevril,Tarragon as well.Any tips? Best seeds ?Thanks

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 14:26 »
agapanthus  I like to grow Oregano,Chevril,Tarragon as well.Any tips? Best seeds ?Thanks

Don't bother with Russian Tarragon seeds - the herb tastes nothing like French Tarragon and you can't get the seeds for that.
I was seriously disappointed with Russian Tarragon as I make a lot of french dishes that require tarragon, so now I've ordered 3 french tarragon plants from Marshalls and will take frequent soft wood cuttings which probably how it propagates. ;)

The best seeds for things like oregano, greek oregano and greek basil were from Suffolk Herbs which are found in most garden centres and also online. :)

xx
Growing Herbs.

Started by Plot 6B on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 16, 2015, 11:23
by lettice
xx
Growing and looking after herbs - please help

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 08, 2007, 13:25
by Annie
xx
Herbs and growing them indoors.

Started by Riala on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 02:34
by sclarke624
xx
Growing herbs from cuttings?

Started by potatopotato on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 23:14
by annie b

Page created in 0.456 seconds with 37 queries.