Cold hen

• 14 Replies

nicchick

• Experienced Member
Cold hen
« on: March 23, 2009, 20:37 »
It has been bitterly cold with awful wind today and when I went to see the hens this afternoon the smallest one who hasn't got all her feathers yet was all cold and hunched up. I tried to warm her up with some warm food but she wasn't interested so I have bought her home with me. Is this the right thing to do? She had to stay in for the first few weeks that we had her as she wasn't adapting to the cold very well. She has grown half her feathers back and has been laying a few eggs. Nic.

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member
Re: Cold hen
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 20:43 »
That's fine.  Me being an idiot, I'd take her to bed and let her sleep on my feet.  I'd keep her warm and she'd keep me warm :)

No, seriously, just give her a comfortable place and let her feathers recover.  The cold doesn't matter tooo much, it's the windchill.

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 20:51 »
Actually she is beside my bed! It's the only safe place from the dog, she seems to be a bit better. She is such a funny little thing - smaller than a pheasant. She's usually really feisty so hopefully she will recover. Nic.

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 21:02 »
Why do Suffolk people always think the same lol.

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 21:09 »
Just special, I guess!

shiatsusu

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 10:03 »
TLC nic, best medicine  ::)

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 12:49 »
She seems fine this morning and has had some food. If I didn't have a dog I'd be tempted to let her wander round indoors. I hope it warms up soon, she needs to be a chicken with her mates. Nic.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 13:22 »
Don't keep her separated for too long or she'll be at the bottom of the pecking order when she's reintroduced and could get bullied  :ohmy:

Perhaps she needs a chux tux  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=29055.0

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 17:13 »
I know that's why I was reluctant to bring her back home. She has been in a separate run with her mate Fanny but sleeping in the big house.
Mind you, when we put  Barbara back after her op she slotted straight back where she was before. I was worried sick about her and she still had her vest on!
The forcast is for two pretty awful days of wind and rain so the plan is to take her back down after that. She has just had a potter around the garden.
When she was released she was too small for a chux tux, she is tiny I think that is why she gets so cold. Thanks Aunt Sally, Nic.

shiatsusu

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 10:18 »
Nic just a thought- garlic is really good to boost circulation which will help her to keep warm. Crush a clove and add to water, or you can get garlic powder to put in the pellets.  :)

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 13:53 »
Hi!  I live in East Anglia and would be happy to crochet a little chook jumper for her if you like.  I made about a dozen for Little Hen Rescue right outside of Norwich.   :)
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 16:02 »
Thank you, that is such a sweet offer. She has got nearly all her feathers except front and bum but they're coming! I don't think a jumper will help it's when the wind is blowing across the valley that it gets really cold and their run is a bit exposed. I'm glad I kept her home with the comedy weather we are having today. She is fine now she's warmed up and doesn't seem to mind being indoors too much. She was laying in a spot where the sun comes in today. Once this spell of bad weather passes I'll stick her back out. I think she just needs a bit of building up first. Nic.

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 16:12 »
Hurrah! My cold hen has gone back to her buddies and so far so good. I was trying to explain to the boyfriend that her feathers are like quills until she fluffs up - which is why she had to be in the kitchen...so fingers crossed she will be okay now. Nic.

shiatsusu

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 20:31 »
Phew! Good news nic x

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 20:33 »
Yes, I've just left her all tucked up with the others. Thought it would be nice to post some good news. Nic

xx
Hen With A Cold

Started by skyblue on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 01, 2007, 23:27
by Aunt Sally
xx
Cold & Wet

Started by stamford on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post November 13, 2008, 15:28
by Roughlee Handled
xx
can a hen get a cold?

Started by coco on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 13, 2009, 12:19
by coco
xx
My hen has a cold I think.

Started by tommyb on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 16, 2011, 02:40
by Lindeggs

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 29 queries.