Cucumbers

• 31 Replies

digalotty

Re: Cucumbers
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 20:54 »
try lidl for seeds if theres on near you 28p a pack :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

FRUITFULL

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 08:02 »
i have now put the mini plastic greenhouse in the greenhouse and tucked them up in there  :D

sharky

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 09:49 »
I had four that I put in the greenhouse and three of them chuffed it, I think the last one is going to chuff it too. They are very sensitive to cold, although saying that we have not had freezing temperatures and they are the only thing to have been killed off.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 09:54 »
It's way too early to put cues in a greenhouse unless you have a goodly amount of heat.  We're only just out of winter & the night time temps are still very low.

I'm just thinking about sowing mine and I can turn up the wick in the greenhouse if so desired.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 10:51 »
My cucumbers are in 3 inch pots and in a small greenhouse in my kitchen.  Admittedly, they are alittle leggy.  But the temp goes down into around 18 degrees at night in there and they are forming their first real adult leaves.  I have tomatoes and chilli peppers in with them and they are doing fine.  The chilli peppers are just through the soil but the tomatoes are forming their first adult leaves now and NOT leggy.  I'm not sure what the name is of my cukes but they are very nobby and used to make pickles. :)
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

FRUITFULL

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2009, 07:44 »
the cucks are well on their way to growing 2nd leaves!shall i stick with it or get some back up seeds?
They are now in the mini greenhouse inside the greenhouse but are at least 3in tall ::)
Should they be repotted deeper like toms or would that kill the stem?
definatly learned a lesson here for next year i know that  :(

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 08:17 »
Theres always one isn't there! I sowed my cues a couple of weeks ago in an heated propagator, then when germinated I popped them out  in the greenhous that is heated at night with a small frost free heater. Touch wood they are all doing well now producing their second leaves! I only lost one plant. You watch now, they'll all go and die on me!!

FRUITFULL

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2009, 08:28 »
i feel like im sitting on a knife edge with these plants,im too early but they are our babies and we are trying to make good from a big mistake.Lets face it i could go and get more seeds today but i feel comited to these little premature fighters.
Have to wait and see and if disaster strikes start again,but then im not sure even if they do survive if the stems will be too long and weak  ::)

Stripey_cat

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2009, 12:15 »
Should they be repotted deeper like toms or would that kill the stem?

Certainly the outdoor sorts go down to stem-rots very easily - I normally plant them on top of a little heap of compost to try and keep the crown dry-ish.

savbo

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2009, 13:12 »
oops - better bring my 6 wee seedlings back from the lotty greenhouse before tonight!

Though as they're all in the same pot they'll probably die when I transplant them anyway...

M

FRUITFULL

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2009, 13:46 »
Just been out to greenhouse,another burpless gone over,down to 2 of those now.See its just too early like DD said.
Im going for a burial in the compost bin now! :( and this is before the forecasted cold snap at the weekend, :(

doubledug

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2009, 17:36 »
last year i built a timber frame lean2 greenhouse Solid wood up to 900mm then i was going to single glaze when i got the price for the glass it was cheaper to buy doubleglazed panels. so with that and a polycarb roof i can start early without fear of frost. I put a solar powered fan in the roof which keeps it nice and cool in the summer.

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2009, 17:51 »
My cucumbers are in 3 inch pots and in a small greenhouse in my kitchen.  Admittedly, they are alittle leggy.  But the temp goes down into around 18 degrees at night in there and they are forming their first real adult leaves.  I have tomatoes and chilli peppers in with them and they are doing fine.  The chilli peppers are just through the soil but the tomatoes are forming their first adult leaves now and NOT leggy.  I'm not sure what the name is of my cukes but they are very nobby and used to make pickles. :)

What a good idea, I thought that my wife might be a bit upset if I nailed the greenhouse to the kitchen floor but I guess that it is worth a try! ;)

FRUITFULL

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2009, 19:05 »
Action taken..........heater now in mini greenhouse in big greenhouse bringing temp up to tropical temps.How much is a packet of seeds verses my leccy bill?

sclarke624

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2009, 21:18 »
I've got my burpless in my conservatory and they are doing great.  They are 8 inches tall now.  Already repotted once.  Did this last year as well and they were fine.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

xx
cucumbers not producing any cucumbers

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2014, 09:37
by Springlands
xx
Cucumbers

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 19, 2008, 14:42
by Trillium
xx
Cucumbers

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 19:23
by willnbirdie
xx
Help on the Cucumbers

Started by FRUITFULL on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 19:12
by FRUITFULL

Page created in 0.654 seconds with 36 queries.