Cucumbers

• 31 Replies

FRUITFULL

Cucumbers
« on: March 22, 2009, 09:44 »
We potted up the cucumber seedlings to 3in pots but 4 have died in the last week.What is causing this?any advise greatly appreciated.They are not over watered and have a frost heater at night but the stems just give up!One lot were £4 for 4 seeds which seemed alot but the price of cucumbers in the supermarket we more than get our money back,just dont want to loose any more  ::)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 09:45 »
You're too early & it's too cold!

Sorry to be blunt! :(
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

FRUITFULL

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 09:48 »
oh noooooooooooooo,thanks for being blunt at least i know now! oh dear i followed pack instructions.
Great to have you back DD i aint arf missed ya!! :D

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 09:50 »
Ouch thats a lot of money   :(
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 09:54 »
Nice to be back.

It's OK if you've got somewhere really warm to put them, but a heater that just keeps the frost off won't "cut the mustard".

I'll be sowing mine indoors in early April and they will be kept inside for a couple of weeks after germination (yes using aluminium foil!).

They will then be moved to the greenhouse that has a reasonable amount of heat overnight, before finally being shifted to the unheated greenhouse, probably sometime in June.

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 10:04 »
Hi, mine are doing fine but they are standing in a large propogator, also i don't prick mine out i don't think they like that the seeds are quite large so i sow them straight into 3" pots, although last year i did the same and they all went a bit yellow and turned their toes up, so what do i know!!

Keep on a troshing J W

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 10:24 »
If they've germinated, they should be out of the propagator before they go leggy & weak.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 22:45 »
I thought cucumbers liked it up in the twenties - they'll not get that outside a propagator at night.

hindy

• Experienced Member
    • Hayden Road Allotmenteers
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 22:54 »
With most seeds Stripey_cat, once they have poked their heads though in a propogator its best to remove the lid, otherwise like DD says they will get very leggy, even with cucumbers. I have chilli peppers that need between 28-32 C to germinate but once they were through the lid was off, now growing very nicely.
One other thing with cucumbers is that they hate root disturbance so best to plant in pots rather than trays.
Andy
Founder of Hayden Road Allotmenteers

peterjf

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 23:06 »
we will be starting our indoor telegraph F1 CUCUMBERS in late april, any sooner they will die , what a waste of money , worth the wait , even got itchy feet waiting for the proper time for everything else

FRUITFULL

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 07:07 »
our tomato seedlings are coming on great and the peas and courgettes are popping up in the greenhouse,they are my department!OH is King cuck grower,he started them off indoors and they are 3in high and just trying to get their 2nd leaves,he potted them on and put them in the greenhouse but because 4 have gone over hes tryed saying i over watered them  ::)
Obviously despite the packet saying sow now,like DD said hes to early!  ;)

Stripey_cat

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 15:20 »
With most seeds Stripey_cat, once they have poked their heads though in a propogator its best to remove the lid, otherwise like DD says they will get very leggy, even with cucumbers. I have chilli peppers that need between 28-32 C to germinate but once they were through the lid was off, now growing very nicely.
One other thing with cucumbers is that they hate root disturbance so best to plant in pots rather than trays.

I do that with my tomatoes and such, but they grow happily in the high teens.  I thought (although I don't have a greenhouse so this is going on memories of what my grandmother did!) that greenhouse cukes liked higher temperatures than that, and tended to get rots at room temp.

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 20:31 »
Hi, i agree with Stripeycat i don't want to put them out in the cool greenhouse yet but i have got the lid off. My toms and peppers are all out though and pricked out into trays
( 28 to a tray ).

Keep on a troshing J W

hindy

• Experienced Member
    • Hayden Road Allotmenteers
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 20:43 »
miss-understanding here.
They are fine in an open propogator on the windowsil at home but not in a greenhouse once germinated.

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 19:59 »
Hi, a cool greenhouse if only frost protected can get pretty cold at night and things like cucumbers like it a bit warmer. They'll germinate nicely in the proporgator but it's just a little cooler with the lid off.

Jay

xx
cucumbers not producing any cucumbers

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2014, 09:37
by Springlands
xx
Cucumbers

Started by Brambles on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 21:18
by Brambles
xx
Cucumbers again !

Started by richyrich7 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 22:58
by gobs
xx
Cucumbers

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post July 11, 2014, 21:11
by Growster...

Page created in 0.673 seconds with 36 queries.