PlumTree

• 11 Replies

DIGGER

PlumTree
« on: March 18, 2009, 15:39 »
I have a  self fertlile Plum Marjories that is now in its forth year,I doubt that it will make its fifth.

The first two years it produce lots of blossom,but alas no plums.
Last year we covered it in fleece thinking that frost has been a problem,but alas no blossom and no plums.

I have just inspected it and it has loads of buds just appearing. Now i have had a very firm word with it and issued a yellow card and warned it that if it does not produce, a red card will be issued in September.

It has had some growmore in Autumn,is there any thing else i can do to avoid giving it its last rites.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: PlumTree
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 16:05 »
The trouble with plums is that they flower early, and if a frost nips the flowers.....
that's it no fruit :mad:
I don't know if Marjorie suffers with biennial fruiting like Victoria?..Sounds painful poor thing :lol:
Not much help really.....sorry

paintedlady

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 16:14 »
Maybe it takes 6 years before it starts to set fruit  :tongue2:  We've had some strange spring and summers for about 3 years now so I'd hang fire with the chopping axe, and maybe put a good word with Him upstairs for some normal weather for once  ;)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 16:34 »
Lots of people I know have had problems with a lack of plums last year - think it was the late frosts that did for them, but plums do take a number of years to start fruiting anyway apparently.

DIGGER

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 16:53 »
Thanks, in that case has anyone got a cure for lack of patience :unsure:

treacleminer

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 17:14 »

I have just inspected it and it has loads of buds just appearing. Now i have had a very firm word with it and issued a yellow card and warned it that if it does not produce, a red card will be issued in September.

My Dad did that with a plum tree in our garden when I was young (I think it was about 20 years old) - It produced 3 plums ???

DIGGER

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 20:06 »
Bet he did'nt use the same words that i did :lol:

Stripey_cat

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 21:00 »
Did you take the fleece off to allow insects in to pollinate?  Also, Marjorie's is only partially self fertile - you'll get a better crop with two (not an issue if it isn't setting at all, though!).  What's the rootstock, is the next question - St Julian A takes a good 3-4 years (I reckon the estimated time to crop is always a bit optimistic) to crop at all, so you wouldn't have expected anything much really before last year.

DIGGER

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 21:06 »
Did you take the fleece off to allow insects in to pollinate?  Also, Marjorie's is only partially self fertile - you'll get a better crop with two (not an issue if it isn't setting at all, though!).  What's the rootstock, is the next question - St Julian A takes a good 3-4 years (I reckon the estimated time to crop is always a bit optimistic) to crop at all, so you wouldn't have expected anything much really before last year.

Now , your getting a bit to clever for me,but i did keep the label
Rootstocks,  St Julien A / pixy

Stripey_cat

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 10:34 »
That's helpful.  Either it's on a dwarfing rootstock, or a semi-dwarfing.  Either should be starting to set fruit now, though. 

How were pollinators last year?

Mr B

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 14:22 »
Hi All,
  I bought 2 Victoria from Tesco's  last weekend for £7, they were selling them off, I planted them and put some flece round them. I will have to go up the garden when I get home tonight and sweet talk to them, hope the wife dosen't get jellous.
Chris

DIGGER

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 14:46 »
That's helpful.  Either it's on a dwarfing rootstock, or a semi-dwarfing.  Either should be starting to set fruit now, though. 

How were pollinators last year?

I have an Apple tree situated very close that produced many apples , so i presume pollination was ok.
Anyhow  i have been out and had a quite word with it and told it that we can through this together

clip
Plumtree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 19, 2020, 05:35
by mdjlucan
clip
Plumtree

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2019, 22:28
by Aunt Sally
xx
Plumtree

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2020, 19:12
by samuria
clip
Plumtree

3 Replies
Last post June 09, 2019, 19:27
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.683 seconds with 30 queries.