squash

• 10 Replies

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
squash
« on: March 17, 2009, 16:20 »
I'm growing buttercup and butternut squash this year can they be trained to grow up a frame or will they only grow along the ground. If they grow along the ground how much space should I give 6 plants?

Looking to save some space so I can grow a few of them.
Try my best to be Organic but don't always make it

Trillium

Re: squash
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 16:32 »
Squashes will grow both up trellises or along the ground. Depends on what sort of squash you're growing as to space. Courgettes are bush plants and don't need much. Vining types like butternuts and pumpkins need a lot...however, in the  UK climate you can snip the vine end off after you see about 3 or 4 fruit growing as the rest would not ripen before frost hit, and it allows the existing fruit to ripen and bulk up. If you do this, then 6 plants would need about a square metre each.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 17:18 »
Which varieties do you have?  Some butternut squashes (and I have a nasty feeling that this includes Hunter, the one my Mum bought) are bush growers, like most courgettes.  So you can't train them up trellis.  Most are trailing, though, and can go up, although you may need nets (like for melons) to support the weight of the fruits.

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 18:00 »
Which varieties do you have?  Some butternut squashes (and I have a nasty feeling that this includes Hunter, the one my Mum bought) are bush growers, like most courgettes.  So you can't train them up trellis.  Most are trailing, though, and can go up, although you may need nets (like for melons) to support the weight of the fruits.

Waltham Butternut and Burgess Vine Buttercup

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 18:15 »
Those varieties are vine type or trailing, and can be grown up a trellis. I found it worked better with a sloping, tent like structure rather than a vertical one.

On the flat they easily cover 2 or 3m. The bush ones are useful if short of space but harder to come by.

Hope they do well and remember there are 100+ more varieties to try another year, all shapes, sizes and colours
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

Chuffy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 18:54 »
I'll be mostly growing Sprinter and Golden Hubbard this year. I was hoping to tempt them up a trellis, but now I'm not so sure. Does anyone know if these two are trellis friendly?

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 19:56 »
Golden Hubbard is a large , heavy squash and would definately need support probably a ZZ cup size!

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 20:06 »
Hi, i always grow my courgetes up a pole it keeps them off the ground and easier to pick. As for butternuts i pinch the tops out at four leaves grow four runners and two fruits on each, you get better squashes and they don't run all over the plot.

Keep on a troshing J W

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 21:01 »
Hi, i always grow my courgetes up a pole it keeps them off the ground and easier to pick. As for butternuts i pinch the tops out at four leaves grow four runners and two fruits on each, you get better squashes and they don't run all over the plot.

Keep on a troshing J W

Sorry if I'm being thick but just so I understand this.

I let them grow and once they have four leaves I pinch out the growing tip. They will then grow two runners and it's on these two runners that fruit will still develop.

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 19:51 »
Hi, once you pinch the top out at four leaves you should get four laterals and i grow two fruits on each lateral giving you eight squashes in all. Maybe you can grow three on each but they might not ripen.

Keep on a troshing J W

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 01:23 »
For the last couple of years I've stuck my butternut squash in along with the runner beans - with an initial bit of encouragement (tie in once or twice) they are happy to share the bean frame.

Once the runner beans are finished I find the butternut all over the place having shared the space with the beans. I only "prune" the plants back if they start to spread over other nearby crops.

Works for me ;) using non bush variety.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
what do i do with squash

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2013, 22:31
by Flowertot
xx
Squash ID help please

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 05, 2013, 13:55
by mumofstig
xx
Squash

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2022, 22:24
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.529 seconds with 28 queries.