Comfrey Root Sections......Now what???

• 14 Replies

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
Comfrey Root Sections......Now what???
« on: March 19, 2009, 12:20 »
Hi,
I received my order of Comfrey root sections this morning through the post and opened them up to find 2" pieces of wood. I had a sheet come with it to say keep damp until planting out, which is fine, but my question is how are they to be planted? I have 5 pieces. How far apart to they go? Do they get buried, if so how deep? Anyway up? Both ends look the same!

Would have been nice to have some instructions with them but hey ho, I'm sure someone here can help. Thanks

woodburner

Re: Comfrey Root Sections......Now what???
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 12:30 »
If you can't tell which way up they should go. (normal practice is for the bottom to be cut at an angle, top at right angles) I'd put them horizontally about an inch below the surface.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 12:48 »
I just stuck mine in pots of compost about an inch down from the surface and let them sort themselves out, which they did in about a fortnight.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 12:59 »
When they grow, they do spread a bit, so just chuck them in the ground where you want them to grow, about 18 inches or 2ft apart I'd say.  But put them in a permanent position, because if you try to move them, they will grow from the tiniest bit of root left behind!

They'll grow anywhere!

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 13:35 »
They'll grow anywhere!

I beg to differ - I've managed to kill 11 of the 12 plants I put in the ground last year.  I'll be digging number 12 up and taking some root cuttings and trying again though.

Me and comfrey just dont get on.  :(

MulesMarinair

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 13:40 »
Do you mind me asking where you got them from?

Thanks
MM

"I have a room for life at the Home of the Chronically Groovy"
- Sgt. Floyd Pepper, The Hippest of the Hip,
Bass Guitarist, Dr. Teeth & the Electric Mayhem

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 16:46 »
I beg to differ - I've managed to kill 11 of the 12 plants I put in the ground last year.  I'll be digging number 12 up and taking some root cuttings and trying again though.

Me and comfrey just dont get on.  :(

Sorry about that Lardman!  I bought a large potted comfrey with me when we moved here from Essex.  It had been in the pot for 3 years at least, and used to die off in the summer because I was rarely at home during the day and kept forgetting to water it!  When we got here, I stood it on the old patio near the edge, well the roots crept out of the bottom of the pot, through the old patio slabs and started to grow on the edge of the patio.  So I took the plant out of the pot and planted it in its permanenet postion.  that was about 4 years ago, and I am still digging out the new shoots that keep growing on the side of where the old patio was!  Can't get rid of the stuff!!!!! lol

Do you mind me asking where you got them from?

Thanks
MM

How far is Fife from Glenrothes?  Muntjac and Aggy have acres of the stuff growing on their place!!!!!

I can always send you some root too if you like!

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 21:04 »
Thanks for your book on vegetable growing John,I got it this morning make an excellent bedtime story book lol!
I read about Bocking 14 comfrey in it but can only buy a min of 5 roots at a time online. I only want 1 root as I don't have space for anymore & don't know anyone else who'd like 1 either. Any suggestions please?
Thanks

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 21:09 »
Thanks for your book on vegetable growing John,I got it this morning make an excellent bedtime story book lol!
I read about Bocking 14 comfrey in it but can only buy a min of 5 roots at a time online. I only want 1 root as I don't have space for anymore & don't know anyone else who'd like 1 either. Any suggestions please?
Thanks

Put a want in the swap shop someone may have some to gift or swap.

I've got the Russian stuff myself. I should have some for swaps but not till later in the year.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 22:20 »
Thanks for all your replys  :)

I got mine from www.sussexherbcompany.co.uk a link left by DD a while back. They don't have the said 'angles cuts' they have been cut straight on both ends by the look of things. Does it grow really vigerous then? I don't really want it taking over the whole plot, just a tidy little patch in the corner!  ::)

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 22:23 »
Thanks RichyRich, I have done & I'll look up that website you posted too Sharonx

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 22:29 »
Thanks for all your replys  :)

I got mine from www.sussexherbcompany.co.uk a link left by DD a while back. They don't have the said 'angles cuts' they have been cut straight on both ends by the look of things. Does it grow really vigerous then? I don't really want it taking over the whole plot, just a tidy little patch in the corner!  ::)

:lol: your ok its not like mint or horse radish, just a perisher to get out if you don't want it any more. Pop it in the corner and you won't regret it.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 22:30 »
Some people say that comfrey is very invasive, but the one I've got doesn't seem to go outwards much, although that original bit did pop up about 6ft away from the main plant, but it's roots just go down forever, so don't put it somewhere then move it, or those little bits of root you leave behind will grow again and again and again!!!!   :)

Makes lovely liquid fertilizer!!!!

woodburner

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 23:38 »
I've just received some willow cuttings and with them the labels are pointed end down to indicate which end is the bottom. Also, but this isn't mentioned, the elastic bands holding the bunches together are at the bottom. 1" is so short though, that I doubt that it would be possible to put an elastic band anywhere but the middle.  :ohmy:

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 08:16 »
Think I will do what you said woodburner and plant them horizontal! Far too complicated for me to decide which ends which :lol:

xx
Comfrey root cuttings

Started by The Red Baron on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 24, 2014, 14:28
by DD.
xx
Comfrey root cuttings

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 16, 2016, 17:45
by Goneterseed
xx
Comfrey root cuttings?

Started by bazh on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 09, 2011, 10:54
by bazh
xx
Help! can't plant my comfrey root out

Started by rawrecruit on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 06, 2013, 00:16
by cadalot

Page created in 0.702 seconds with 28 queries.