French Tarragon

• 2 Replies

woodburner

French Tarragon
« on: March 12, 2009, 16:18 »
For the first time, I have managed to get some French Tarragon through the winter, despite being a bit late getting it in in the winter.
It's now started growing, still in the conservatory, so my question is is it ok to put outside now? Or will the new growth be killed off in the next frost?
My conservatory is still full of kitchen stuff so it's really hard to get to it to water it. But I suspect that it will cope with drought better than frost.
I have managed to get it out and have given it a soaking, but it would be easier to plant it out than put it back.  :ohmy: ::)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Goosegirl

Re: French Tarragon
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 17:40 »
I have had French tarragon in my raised bed for about 5 years now although the soil has settled since I planted it so it is sitting low in the bed on a rather heavy silt base with some sharp sand I incorporated when I planted it. It has survived being outside and getting drenched and frosted and is still putting out more and more shoots and is about a foot in diameter now so I guess it's happy there. I really need to move it so I can add more topsoil to the bed. They root easily in water so you could try that and put the rest outside so you have back up if it goes wrong.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

woodburner

Re: French Tarragon
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 12:05 »
Thanks, I will plant it out and take a couple of cuttings too. It's looking a lot better for being watered :D

xx
French Tarragon

Started by agapanthus on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2007, 14:22
by agapanthus
xx
French Tarragon

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 04, 2013, 22:17
by devonbarmygardener
xx
How hardy is french tarragon?

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post March 20, 2012, 13:28
by starry
xx
Tarragon

Started by Livinhope on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 16:15
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.449 seconds with 28 queries.