Heated Propagator Alternatives for tomatoes & sweet peppers.

• 6 Replies

WebSiteEvo

• Experienced Member
  • Growing in North Yorkshire :)
    • Goji Cafe in York
I have been trying to think of ways to increase soil temperature for my tomatoes and sweet peppers without purchasing a headed Propagator. A heated propagator that fits 4 + trays is going to be expensive.  Ideally I would want to have 6-8 trays heated.

The room I am using is typically between 14 -> 16C in the day at the moment.

So far I am using my computer and monitor as a heat source. With the trays positioned  above the monitor and computer. This is a good consistent source as the computer is on all day, but I don't think its enough to raise temps to 20C and I am only manging to heat two standard trays at once. I currently have 4 trays needing 20C temps.

I am thinking an old VCR on stand by maybe a good option... any other ideas??

OR should I invest in a soil warming cable or a heat mat?  4.3m Cable 25W can be purchased for £17.57.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 22:17 by noshed »
http://www.websiteevo.com/veg_patch.jpg[/img]
3nd Year @ organic vegetable gardening & forest gardening
----------------------------------

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
Re: Headed Propagator Alternatives for tomatoes & sweet peppers.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 21:06 »
That's a good idea... I have a flat screen monitor though :(

I'm using the top of my fish tank. Or the radiator. Both a bit narrow for whole trays though.

Do you have an airing cupboard, top of fridge/boiler maybe.

WebSiteEvo

• Experienced Member
    • Goji Cafe in York
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 21:21 »
I have a flat screen also, but have built up around it... wood and books. It get a little risking watering!  :ohmy:

No airing cupboard, fishtank, access to the top of the fridge. Top of the boiler maybe an option, but will be a lack of light once they germinate and very inconsistent heat, but I guess I can move them to a sunny window by then.  But all good suggestions, thanks.

randombod

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 21:49 »
dont you have a spare electric blanket in your bedroom you dont need or a spare hot water bottle ??

Stripey_cat

Re: Heated Propagator Alternatives for tomatoes & sweet peppers.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 22:20 »
I have wire shelves over the storage heater in the bathroom.  Bottom one gets too hot, so is used for drying flannels, middle shelf (two trays per shelf) is about 25C, and the top shelf is about 18.  Once stuff is up it can move to sunny windowsills, then outside into the poly-house (one of those mini-greenhouses covered with plastic) once the overnights are warm enough.

GreenOwl

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 14:57 »
I've always germinated tomatoes on a windowsill without any problems.  I wouldn't bother with a heated propagator for them.  I've germinated sweet peppers on a windowsill too but they take much longer so last year I tried the boiler cupboard and the airing cupboard.  Both much better than the windowsill.  I only kept them in there until they germinated then moved them to the windowsill for light.  But then you should move them out of the propagater once they have germinated anyway so if you have one and can find space away from your linen an airing cupboard should be fine.

This year I was clearing out the loft and found an old wine-making heating tray, I cleaned it up, it still works so I'm going to try that under a seed tray of peppers.  Unless you've got one lying around though, I'm not sure its the cheap option   :)

WebSiteEvo

• Experienced Member
    • Goji Cafe in York
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 21:21 »
The first signs of life from my tomatoes  :D , so I guess the computer and monitor has done the trick, but I have noticed that the first ones to sprout are the ones closes to the heat source so I would guess I need a little more heat ender the rest of the trays.

Cherry Cerise are up first.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 21:24 by WebSiteEvo »

xx
Can I put my sweet potato in a heated propagator?

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 02, 2014, 16:41
by SusieB
xx
Tomatoes and sweet peppers direct or in a pot?

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 23, 2022, 16:49
by mumofstig
xx
Heated Bed / Propagator

Started by Fisherman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 05, 2009, 20:37
by DavidT
xx
Heated Propagator

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 24, 2008, 00:16
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.854 seconds with 29 queries.