CUCUMBERS!

• 11 Replies

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
CUCUMBERS!
« on: March 03, 2009, 20:26 »
 Hi

I wish to grow a trailing type cucumber. Does anyone know how high my support for them needs to be?

Jazz
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: CUCUMBERS!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 21:13 »
well they grow from the border soil to the ridge of the greenhouse.......does that give you some idea ??? :D :D Or in the border you could leave them to trail like pumpkin...

Babstreefern

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 21:23 »
I grew cucumbers (cukes) in large pots, and put plastic wire mesh for them to cling.  Had no problem with them. 

By the way, if anyone's interested, apart from growing cukes, I also planted my tomatoes in the pots (one in each).  I bought the pots from Morrisons - 8 for 99p.  They are disused flower pots.  Just cut out some holes in the bottom, and they are just perfect.
Babs

peterjf

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 23:24 »
we have 12 x 8 greenhouse, have a single ladder wired to the roof of green house , the cucumber plant takes over the roof space in the greenhouse ,

after each cucumber sets we clip off the 3rd leaf , last year we grew 47 cucumbers of telgraph f1 ,

we growing 2 cucumber plants and 6 heirloom tango tomatoes in same greenhouse this year ,

also growing 4 clumps of marigolds , one in each corner to attract the bees and other insect preditors,

works for ur the last 3 years 

Helen G

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 17:16 »
The Watoma (?sp) outdoor cucumbers I grew last year said "provide 1m high supports" for them to climb up on the packet, but I found this is a bit on the pessimistic side.  They covered the 1m frame I made for them, then sent tendrils accross the path and started up the bean poles!  If I hadn't unwrapped them and dragged them back to their own patch, I reckon that they'd have made to 5 or 6 feet. 

They tasted brilliant and cropped really heavily right up until the first frost, so can't complaint too much.

Helen

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 17:45 »
I grew cucumbers (cukes) in large pots, and put plastic wire mesh for them to cling.  Had no problem with them. 

By the way, if anyone's interested, apart from growing cukes, I also planted my tomatoes in the pots (one in each).  I bought the pots from Morrisons - 8 for 99p.  They are disused flower pots.  Just cut out some holes in the bottom, and they are just perfect.

Are those the (about) 12" black pots for holding cut flowers?

Sounds a good deal!! :) :) I wonder if our local store will have any when I get there at the week-end? Thanks for the tip!
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

jolly jen

• Experienced Member
  • half of my crop of BNS & pumpkins
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 19:01 »
i grew mine in a raised bed up canes....they loved it had loads.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and onions....

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 12:27 »
Thanks for all your answers ~~:)
I have Marketmore outdoor cukes so on your advice will provide them with support.

Jazz

Moosey

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 14:03 »

Are those the (about) 12" black pots for holding cut flowers?

Sounds a good deal!! :) :) I wonder if our local store will have any when I get there at the week-end? Thanks for the tip!

I use those pots too, though at the moment we seem to be getting 12 most times!  Think  they may have a few too many round here  ::)
We all have wings but some of us don't know why.

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 17:51 »
In-door (greenhouse) 'cumbers:

My dad had problems with his plants last year. Grown from seed (often quite early as he is impatient) and potted up in the greenhouse.

Plants doing nicely then - collapsed one after the other. :(

"We" decided it was to do with temperature fluctuations - too low over night despite lovely and warm during the day.

Anyone else had similar experiences & how might it be avoided other than wait until later in the year or heat greenhouse?

Reason for asking - my dad has sown cucumbers early again :wub:!! At 93 he is more impatient than he was at a younger age!! ::)

wendywoo

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 20:01 »

In like the cut of your dads jib ( is that how you spell it) but havent a clue about cucumbers!

rink123

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 21:18 »
Fair play to your dad m8 ,He probable know more than a lot of us, on here  ;)

xx
cucumbers not producing any cucumbers

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2014, 09:37
by Springlands
xx
cucumbers

Started by hanssg on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 23, 2015, 09:24
by crh75
xx
cucumbers

Started by Lionel on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 19, 2012, 15:40
by Lionel
xx
cucumbers

Started by rayaddison on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 19:13
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.454 seconds with 37 queries.