Winter Losses

• 21 Replies

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
Winter Losses
« on: March 01, 2009, 14:32 »
it has been said this winter was the coldest for how many years?

Looks like I've lost my French Lavenders, and 2 nepetas seem to have completely disappeared. 

Wondered what other people have lost although it's perhaps too early to tell yet - I remember a eucalyptus tree 'killed' by the hard winter of 78?  I was about to dig it out in july and noticed new shoots just coming at ground level
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Winter Losses
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 15:06 »
i managed to root some osteospernums from a cutting from greece but looks like that's gone for good :( I'll leave it a little while to see but it doesn't look good! :(
Also lost a 1 year old potato vine, the white one, but it's still fine in my son's garden....but his is grown against a wall, so more protected i s'pose. Have to start again from cuttings....
Managed to save an oleander and my rosemary by putting in greenhouse just in time. :D
Haven't noticed anything else terminal............that's assuming that the hardy fushias live up to their billing ::)

SG6

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 15:43 »
Well I didn't lose anything, not a great deal to lose in the delicate plant line.
I did seem to gain something however. ??? ??? ???
I bought a garlic at a chilli fair and planted a row of it about last October.
I bought a garlic in Canada and planted a row of them last November.
I bought a garlic in Maldon and planted a row of them last November

All 3 rows sprouted and were 4-8 ins high before the cold and snow hit.

So where has the row of 5 that have just shown through come from :blink: :blink: :blink:

I have no recollection of planting them, I have no idea what they are or where they came from and they are 2 months after the others.

Babstreefern

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 17:09 »
I bought a vine (which I named Sweetpea) from Bordeaux (St Emelion) in France 18 months ago.  The first winter I left it in my conservatory when I planted it in a bucket (it was nothing to it when I bought it - just little more than a twig).  Last Spring, when all frost had gone, I planted it in my greenhouse at the allotment, and it grew really well through last Summer, although at this point, no grapes, which I hadn't expected anyway.  We then decided (well, my hubby decided) to swap plots, so in October/November, I dug up the poor thing to move to its new plot in the greenhouse there.  When the cold snap arrived, I wrapped the base with a potato sack and prayed it would survive, because even though the vines in France do get snow on them, I don't think they have hard frosts, which we had (we left the milk in the shed overnight and it was solid the next day).  The vine doesn't look anything, yet, I can't even see any growth, but I will watch it into Spring and hope its ok.
Babs

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 17:12 »
One way to find out if it is still alive is to scratch the bark gently with your fingernail. If it is green underneath it is OK, but if it is brown then it is dead. Try a bit further down if is brown as it may only be dead at the top thin end.
Hope that helps Good luck
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Babstreefern

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 19:10 »
Hi Sunshineband.  Have tried that, and I think it is ok, but justing looking at the vine, it doesn't look at well.  So I'm just hoping it will be ok. :unsure:

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 19:37 »
It's still too early for me to find things under some remaining icy snowcover but I usually lose my Provence lavender. bought 5 new plants this past fall and didn't get a chance to mulch the one in the garden. Am waiting with baited breath to see if they all came through (I hope!).

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 18:13 »
just emptied some pots and found the argyranthemums ( marguerites ) and osteospermums ( bedding variety ) completely dead although they often survive the winter to flower another year.
The bacopa ( trailing, white flowered jobby ) was still very much alive and kicking, even had some new growth. I hadn't realised it was so hardy

GreenOwl

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 16:32 »
I think I may have lost my Abutilon Megapotanicum, which certainly looks dead.  It is frost-tender but I planted it against a shed hoping it would get enough shelter to see it through.  (I'm not good with pots, things are better in the ground.)  I'm hoping it may reshoot from its base, otherwise I'll get a cutting off my mother (who kept hers in a pot in the conservatory) or see if I can get a hardy version - Kentish Belle maybe.

I have some tender fuschias in the garden, they normally reshoot from the base as well.  We'll see if they do this year.

SusieQ

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 17:35 »
So far I know I have lost two french lavenders, a dozen or so tree mallows, a bottle brush tree, various geraniums and fushias (which I know weren't hardy but I had hoped to get away with saving this winter by putting them in a frost free sheltered spot; didn't work), a couple of other shrubs that I can't remember the name of and I will just have to see which perennials have bitten the bullet.  I imagine some of the rudbekias, blanket flowers, vebenas, etc., won't have survived. 

All in all an expensive winter!

Christine

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 10:06 »
My winter onions went awol along with a lot of others with other growers too locally.

gimli

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 18:44 »
 :(  my winter onions and some cabbage
gimli

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 22:16 »
Well at work I lost several Cordylines (not great at spelling), then found out I should be wrapping up Variegated and Red varieties which we have.  Oops

I think the heavy snow, then frost, then snow again didn't help though.  It flattened out gorse and broke it in several places.  I work in an exposed golf course so I'm asking for it aren't I??!!!

I have to say I've lost a lot more to deer though.  I have no idea how to stop them though as there appears to be no way to do that, apart from a gun and I'm pretty much loathed to do that!
Teen

FRUITFULL

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 07:14 »
I have lost 3 big Argarvies,2 pheonix palms one was really big,and the worst loss the beautiful big banana plant (this was all wrapped up but i think the straw got damp round it and froze which rotted it.Th Argarvies have always been covered for winter but as its normally so mild here we didnt this year.
Lots of frost damage to the chocia and rock plants too.
Big disaster really as we have lost our best things in the garden  :(

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 13:45 »
I htink our canary island palm has bought it --- it is about ten years old and has always overwintered just in its sheltered corner. Had a recce yesterday and its not looking good. I'm trying to look on the positive side that it is an opportunity for something new but its not really working at the moment  :(

xx
Winter Rye

Started by christokes87 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post December 08, 2011, 20:11
by christokes87
xx
Winter colour?

Started by Lardman on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post September 29, 2014, 11:10
by Goosegirl
xx
winter jasmine

Started by early4704 on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post August 28, 2008, 21:09
by mrs bouquet
xx
Winter flowers

Started by Hanow on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post August 16, 2009, 19:00
by catllar

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 29 queries.