Winter flowers

• 1 Replies

Hanow

Winter flowers
« on: August 14, 2009, 13:45 »
Hello all - I am a newbie here, as well as a bit of a newbie to gardening.  Having purchased a greenhouse, I have gone crazy with seeds - veg and flowers. I am amazed at the number which have survived me!  That said, I currently have a number of pansies, violas, polyanthus, evening primrose which are doing brilliantly.  They all have between 2 and four pairs of leaves.  What I am uncertain about is whether, in a few weeks time, I can plant them in ground and pots for winter flowering, or do I have to nurture them in the greenhouse all winter, and not plant out until spring?  Won't the frosts kill them if I plant in late September?  I can't find the info in any of the plant books, web advice etc. Thanks to anyone who can assist.  Lots (and lots) of little plants relying on you!  :wub:

catllar

Re: Winter flowers
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 19:00 »
I'm perhaps sticking my neck out here, but I put mine out about then and whilst they do get a bit of a shock in any frost and sulk a bit they generally come good wih the first bit of mild weather. You could always cover 'em  up with a bit of stuff if it gets really cold. I guess to be really safe you could pot some up and keep in the green house as an insurance policy

xx
winter flowers

Started by azubah on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post February 16, 2011, 18:00
by Yorkie
xx
Flowers for winter hanging baskets

Started by Pony Girl on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2014, 18:05
by Pony Girl
xx
Best plants/flowers to grow to feed birds in winter?

Started by Rich on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post July 16, 2011, 21:07
by blackisgreen
xx
Bay flowers

Started by Spana on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 19:16
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 36 queries.