Sorry more potatoe questions!

• 4 Replies

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
Sorry more potatoe questions!
« on: February 23, 2009, 11:33 »
Hi All,

Myself and Hubby have recently got round to clearing an area of our garden that was a flower bed but has been 'designated' our veg plot.

The area of the garden in question was originally a 'tip' for the previous owners with lots of garden rubbish piled up and was wild with nettles (I understand this is a sign of good earth?).

When we moved in we intially converted it in to a (massive) flower bed and over the course of 7 years have put lots of bark down to help surpress the weeds.

Just recenty we have converted half to a chicken run and are now converting the other half to a veg plot with 2 4ft x 12ft beds in.

Sorry a long winded way round to my question  ::) but thought the history of the land may help.

I have been doing lots of reading on crop rotation and ground prep and I am now a little concerned that as I wish to grow potatoes I should have started this project in the autumn, i,e, digging in manure!  I did think maybe I could add it now and then plant but I have just read this may not be a good idea???? Causes scab???

The earth we have is a lovely dark colour and fairly crumbly (especially after the chickens have been over it  :D). I am going to get a testing kit to check it's PH level, but do you think i may be worth trying potatoes as the ground is??

My second question relates to 'earthing up' do I cover the whole plant or leave some leaves showing?

Any help appreciated
Emma

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
Re: Sorry more potatoe questions!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 12:42 »
You can use well rotted manure without any problems or chicken pellets, as for earthing up you cover all the plant as you see it growing through.
Paul

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 13:01 »
Thanks for the reply  :D

I was planing to try some potatoes in a dustbin and some on our plot.

How many times do I need to 'earth up'

Thanks

Emma
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 19:00 by Charlie's Chickens »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 11:48 »
Hi Emma

Glad to hear your spud plans are coming along  :D

Have another look at your 'earthing up thread', you might find it answers your question about earthing up

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=31323.0

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 12:03 »
Be aware that Chicken pellets are high in Nitrogen, spuds need a higher potassium content (if me memory serves me), Nitrogen will give to much top growth.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
Potatoe questions ??

Started by Aitch on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 26, 2010, 10:00
by Aitch
xx
Potatoe Questions

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 20:21
by johnhar
xx
2 Sweet potatoe Questions

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 19, 2011, 18:25
by Trillium
xx
Quick couple of potatoe questions

Started by lee79 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 09, 2008, 15:25
by sawnee

Page created in 0.971 seconds with 29 queries.