planting in beds after blight

• 6 Replies

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
planting in beds after blight
« on: February 23, 2009, 13:27 »
Last year i got blight in the polytunnel as well as outside, I cleared the tunnel at the end of last summer and left the tunnel empty. I've just topped up the beds with another 4 inches of very, very rotted manure and mushroom compost.

So my questions are

1. Am I ok to plant tomatos into the beds, making watering easier, or should I plant in pots or growbags

2. I wanted to plant some spuds in there now, would that be asking for trouble. They have been chitting fo almost 4 weeks now so are ready to go in now.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 13:48 by little sweetpeas »
Try my best to be Organic but don't always make it

Trillium

Re: planting in beds after blight
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 16:04 »
I'm not a blight expert as we don't get it here, but from reading a lot of experiences by others, blight spores will live in the soil for a long time as well as cling to structures as its a wind-born spore. I'd recommend the grow bags for the toms and a watchful eye. Same with the spuds, or even do a barrel with bagged compost. Purchased compost is usually 'cooked' at a high temperature which should kill off blight spores and make growing a bit safer. But even using these techniques, the spores can still blow in on the wind so you'll need to check regularly for the first signs.

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 17:34 »
I'm not a blight expert as we don't get it here, but from reading a lot of experiences by others, blight spores will live in the soil for a long time as well as cling to structures as its a wind-born spore. I'd recommend the grow bags for the toms and a watchful eye. Same with the spuds, or even do a barrel with bagged compost. Purchased compost is usually 'cooked' at a high temperature which should kill off blight spores and make growing a bit safer. But even using these techniques, the spores can still blow in on the wind so you'll need to check regularly for the first signs.

I was hoping that everyone was going to say plant in the beds. Guess I'll be buying loads of growbags this year then.

penance

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 17:46 »
I would not be planting toms or pots on a bed that had blight last year.

have you checked the PH after adding the mushroom compost? It normally has added lime and may be to alkaline for pots.

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 09:39 »
Would it be ok to plant in an area of the tunnel that hadn't been used before but only a few feet away from where the beds which had the blight last year?

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 10:01 »
If you plant tomatoes or potatoes you should not grow them closer than every 3 years in the same place. This is not for blight but other diseases.

Blight can only survive for any time on living tissue so if you were diligent in removing all the small potatoes from last years crop you should be safe.

Blight spores will arrive on the wind. A polytunnel is often the ideal place for the spores to develop, high humidity and above 10 degrees C.

Make sure that you and your neighbours have not got a source of infection. This can be potatoes surviving in a compost heap or ones that were left in the ground and start growing among other crops.

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 12:19 »
If you plant tomatoes or potatoes you should not grow them closer than every 3 years in the same place. This is not for blight but other diseases.

Blight can only survive for any time on living tissue so if you were diligent in removing all the small potatoes from last years crop you should be safe.

Blight spores will arrive on the wind. A polytunnel is often the ideal place for the spores to develop, high humidity and above 10 degrees C.

Make sure that you and your neighbours have not got a source of infection. This can be potatoes surviving in a compost heap or ones that were left in the ground and start growing among other crops.

I think you've made a great point. thinking back there were two plants growing which turned out to be old potatoes growing. I guess that might have made a huge part to play in the blight attack.

I think it has to be growbags then with pots on top this year, I can't loose another crop to blight and as we are fast approaching March I might aswell forget planting the potatoes in the tunnel and just stick them outside.

xx
Raised beds, planting advice

Started by twee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 29, 2008, 14:56
by compostqueen
xx
PLanting distances in raised beds

Started by Feef on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post April 25, 2008, 09:13
by Ruby Red
xx
Using undug beds for planting sprouts & other brassicas??

Started by wendycas on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 18:41
by wendycas
xx
Successional Planting (aka keeping the beds full through the year)

Started by snails2go on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 11:38
by snails2go

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 36 queries.