Fresh manure and my plot

• 10 Replies

seeNeutral

• seeNeutral take pride in delivering cost effective environmentally responsible design solutions
Fresh manure and my plot
« on: February 15, 2009, 20:34 »
Back in September / October I dug in a whole heap of manure into my first plot, and I have been roughly turning the soil over every month with a fork since then.

My concern is in my naivety and eagerness to get the plot under way I used manure which was pretty fresh, it is only recently I have learned you should let the manure rot first.

So if the manure was fresh when it went into the ground, but has been breaking down since October will I be ok to plant out in March / April or will my soil be likely to effect the plants development?

Stripey_cat

Re: Fresh manure and my plot
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 22:09 »
Does it still smell of horseshit?  If so, you'll have problems.  If you're perfectly happy to stick your hands in it or sit on it, it'll be fine (thank earthworms for doing their job!).

seeNeutral

• seeNeutral take pride in delivering cost effective environmentally responsible design solutions
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 22:19 »
No it doesn't smell, however I am not sure if I am happy to stick my hands in it yet. When I dig it over I still find bits which are the green tinge of the horse poo rather than soil, but there are lots of fat worms around.

woodburner

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 00:32 »
With the risk of weed killer contamination still prevalent, you have done the right thing, as the microbes in the soil will have neutralised any pyralid by now.
Sounds like you are good to go with whatever you want to grow except carrots and parsnips. :)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

seeNeutral

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 10:09 »
Ah that's good to know. Thanks for the reassurance. I was hoping to grow carrots this year, when do you think the soil will be ok to grow carrots/parsnips? Next season?

woodburner

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 11:29 »
Yes, next year will be fine, just remember to keep the next lot of manure off the area you want to grow them in.  ;)
My soil at home is so stony, they grow wierd shapes at the best of times!   ::) :lol:

seeNeutral

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 11:48 »
 :) Thanks a lot woodburner. If I still want to grow carrots this season can I grow them in containers or similar or do they do best in the ground?

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 12:06 »
There's another thread going about growing carrots in containers and they all seem to think it's a good idea!
The reason you don't want them in the soil is that manure makes them fork.
(unless you want to enter an ugly veg competition...)

seeNeutral

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 12:23 »
Thanks andreadon I will check that thread out.

woodburner

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 13:04 »
Containers do seem to be a good idea. I'm going to try some in containers at home, using sieved soil, sand and compost mix, as well as some in the ground at the lottie, where the soil is naturally less stony for comparison, esp. of carrot fly infestation.
If the containers are better (as sounds likely) I will use them regularly for mature carrots, and only grow carrots for pulling when young directly in the ground.

seeNeutral

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 15:43 »
I am going to give carrots ago in containers, another veg I was going to plant into the plot was onions, has anyone any idea whether these will be ok in the soil?

xx
Fresh Horse Manure on Plot?

Started by LMorgan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 00:15
by LMorgan
xx
Fresh pig manure

Started by Loftuz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 24, 2013, 17:43
by Christine
xx
fresh manure

Started by Teabag on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 14, 2008, 22:44
by Diggerpete
xx
Fresh Manure- do they know something i don't?

Started by TheSpartacat on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 23, 2011, 15:56
by Trillium

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 30 queries.