Genetics question

• 3 Replies

betty

• Experienced Member
Genetics question
« on: February 13, 2009, 16:45 »
If I breed a Silver Birchen roo to a Blue Birchen hen,   will I get 50% black and 50% blue?  Also, how then would I get true black birchen from the two origanal birds?  Would I have to breed the roo (daddy) back to the peeps I get that are blacks?  I am trying to start a line of Silver Birchens.  I think they are so pretty.  And I'm not to good at understanding genetics.  I would like to take the black birchens to local farm show someday.  Makes raising them a little more interesting I guess. (they are Marans)  thanks yf Betty

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Genetics question
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 17:34 »
Not an expert Betty, but I don't think they will breed true.  I know nothing about Birchin's , but most of the chiickens are not a straight cross, there always seem to be something else down the line that could come out in your chicks.  I only know about hybrids though, so who I am to say anything?  Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along later tonight!!

They sound lovely birds though.  Have we seen photo's????

pushrod

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 00:24 »
  Also, how then wouldIf I breed a Silver Birchen roo to a Blue Birchen hen,   will I get 50% black and 50% blue? I get true black birchen from the two origanal birds?  Would I have to breed the roo (daddy) back to the peeps I get that are blacks?  I am trying to start a line of Silver Birchens.  I think they are so pretty.  And I'm not to good at understanding genetics.  I would like to take the black birchens to local farm show someday.  Makes raising them a little more interesting I guess. (they are Marans)  thanks yf Betty

Predicting offspring depends if they are pure breeding or not - which you can not tell by looking at them. To try and develop a new strain/colour is very hit and miss and will involve lots of generations and culling of non-desirable traits/colour. You will need small cages so that you control which birds are mating with which and keep detailed records of who produced what . Plus you will also need a large flock otherwise inbreeding will occur and their general vigour will decline. All in all not an easy or quick task. Hope this helps without being too offputting.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

betty

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 18:38 »
Will send pics soon.  Any idea where I might read more on the net, or a good book and where to purchase it?  I am really interested in having a line of Silver Birchen Marans.  I am going to need a lot more room, I'm working on that, also I hope I can count on you all for advise as needed :blush:  I will send pics of what I'm starting with soon.  yf Betty ps the hens are laying nice dark eggs, and they all have feather feet, a good start yes?

xx
How likely is it??? Genetics type question :)

Started by Chookiechook on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 05:50
by joyfull
xx
Genetics and in breeding.

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 17:34
by Foxy
xx
Genetics and Ducks

Started by RichardA on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 20:37
by poultrygeist
xx
poo cleaning...a how to question??? oh, and another smaller question

Started by boybrown on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 14:40
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.548 seconds with 36 queries.