fat ex-bat

• 4 Replies

nicchick

• Experienced Member
fat ex-bat
« on: February 13, 2009, 07:35 »
Hi, one of the hens I picked up on Sunday is much more "well - fed" than the others. To look at her you wouldn't have picked her out as an ex-bat apart from having a pale comb. She found it really hard to walk the first few days and her legs do look a bit thick. I trimmed her claws yesterday and that has helped her a bit. I had a good look at her and was surprised at her weight, the others are like string. Was she just a lucky one at the front near the food?

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
Re: fat ex-bat
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 10:17 »
Is she eating well now?

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 11:18 »
Hi nicchick,

Can you tell if she is laying or has laid recently? Have her eggs looked normal to you?
it is odd to have one very fat ex bat as they share the same diet. So with this in mind  might be worth checking there is nothing else wrong with her. Does her abdomen feel squashy? (have a feel underneath between legs and move hands gently forward towards her chest). You mentioned she was unsteady -is she slightly breathless? Look at her beak is it opening and closing frequently?
Have a lot at her dropping as well. Do they look normal. or watery or maybe yellowy almost like scambled egg?
I am wondering that she  may have laid an egg internally.

In the meantime just feed exclusively good quality layers pellets/mash.
Hope this helps and  keep us posted on her symptoms :)

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 19:18 »
Hi, she seems to be eating well and she perks up at the arrival of food. She just seemed to get a bit puffed out and sat in the house looking out but the last couple of days she has been out all the time. I think she has laid an egg as I had 3 on monday and I don't think the little baldy one would have been well enough. It's really tricky to work out what is normal behaviour for them as they are a bit timid. She has been having a flap and looking at how to get over the fence to the others. I'll give her a good look over tomorrow, thank you.

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 18:53 »
Hi, my friend who is a vet nurse checked her over and she seems fine. She was however appalled at the state of her legs and feet and said that she is showing signs of muscle atrophy she also clipped her claws a bit shorter and that has helped her walking.  I will keep an eye on her, we only picked them up last Sunday and they have only had pellets with corn for bedtime and a treat of mealworms - the same as our other girls really. Thanks for telling me what to look for, Nic.

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 36 queries.