Clover Poisonous?

• 6 Replies

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
Clover Poisonous?
« on: February 12, 2009, 12:53 »
Hi All!  I am prepping for the arrival of my ladies and saw an article about what is poisonous to chickens.  To my horror, I saw clover, ivy and nettles!  My garden is full of clover (for the bees), nettle for tea, several kinds of ivy climbing up our garage which the Blue Tits love to forage through.  Am I mistaken to believe that chickens are pretty intelligent and know what to eat and what not to?  I sure hope so! :unsure:
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Clover Poisonous?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 12:58 »
Hi littleredhen, I've never seen before that clover is poisonous, my gils love it.  but they don't usually touch ivy or nettles.  they are not stupid, mind you, saying that, I did have some young babcocks that started eating ragwort.

Rhode Runner

• The Poultry Garden
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 15:00 »
Clover... is fine. They will gladly eat this. Nettles...they won't touch probably becuase they sting....they will eat them with relish if boiled. They will not touch Ivy. Keepers worry too much about what poultry will or will not eat. Chickens seem to know what is good and will come to no harm.

Allan
It's not growing old that stops you doing things
Its stopping doing things that makes you old.

LittleRedHen

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 15:13 »
Thanks so much for this infomation!  I have comfrey growing everywhere too, but I understand that hens eat this with pleasure.  There goes my comfrey tea!   :blink:  The goodness will come out in the eggs!  This will be a brilliant use for my nettle tea leftovers.  Now they won't go into the compost, but into the chickens!  What lovely little recyclers they are!   :D

Rhode Runner

• The Poultry Garden
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 20:10 »
Thanks so much for this infomation!  I have comfrey growing everywhere too, but I understand that hens eat this with pleasure.  There goes my comfrey tea!   :blink:  The goodness will come out in the eggs!  This will be a brilliant use for my nettle tea leftovers.  Now they won't go into the compost, but into the chickens!  What lovely little recyclers they are!   :D

Yes LRH they will recycle almost anything that grows or creeps or runs. Chickens are omniverous and will eat meat, fish, fowl or veg. They are very good at clearing plots of weeds, seeds and bugs. The problem is they are a bit like my last girl friend they don't know a weed from a prize plant.

Allan

shiatsusu

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 09:25 »
Yes LRH they will recycle almost anything that grows or creeps or runs. Chickens are omniverous and will eat meat, fish, fowl or veg. They are very good at clearing plots of weeds, seeds and bugs. The problem is they are a bit like my last girl friend they don't know a weed from a prize plant.

Allan

Oh dear Rhode Runner  :( at least your feathered girls love you  :blush:

LittleRedHen

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 12:57 »
I just couldn't help myself - I laughed outloud when I read this!  I have no doubt that you are a hardy vibrant pure bred plant that doesn't need someone that can't tell the difference!  Hold out for one that can!  ;)

xx
Clover

Started by karenjayne on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 28, 2011, 13:46
by helens-hens
xx
Clover

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2007, 22:24
by WG.
xx
Ivy poisonous?

Started by beki on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 08, 2009, 18:39
by beki
xx
Poisonous Plants

Started by Pertelotte on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 31, 2011, 08:59
by Sassy

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 28 queries.