Clover

• 4 Replies

karenjayne

Clover
« on: March 27, 2011, 11:02 »
just thinking of moving the chicken coop and run.  the new area we thinking about is covered in clover and nettles.  i know nettles the chicks love, but is clover all right for them too?

themagicaltoad1

Re: Clover
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 17:43 »
Chickens tend to know what they can and can't eat, I suspect the clover won't last very long at all. The whole area will soon be one big bald patch lol.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 01:31 »
Yes, clover is another favourite of my chickens (I just posted in another thread about dandelions which are also apparently delicious to chicken taste-buds).

My chickens have been really good at choosing what they will and won't eat when given free-run of pasture.  They eat lots of grasses, clovers and broad-leaf weeds while avoiding anything in the nightshade family (including tomatoes), castor-oil plants, and marigolds.

I have a book of common weeds in NZ and had a fairly good idea about what weeds would be likely to be toxic to livestock in general and poultry in particular.  I think the chickens must have read the same book because their grazing matches up very nicely with what I thought they "should" and "shouldn't" eat.

A word of warning though, if you leave them on the same piece of ground for long enough they will end up eating everything.  You're better to move them as soon as they've given the patch the once-over and eaten their first-choice plants.

karenjayne

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 09:38 »
well thanks for that.  strange not tomato plants, when tomatoes are favourite treats!   but will go and check to see if any other delight grow in this area, as its part of garden we never use.

helens-hens

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 13:46 »
They don't eat the actual tomato plants (they have a very distinctive smell and I have read that tomato seedings are poisonous for humans, possibly also hens?) however should you grow tomatoes outside like I do, you will quickly find that they will do anything in their power to get to the fruit when it develops and starts to ripen!

If you find you are plagued by bindweed you may find they will like that (ours are quite good at keeping it under control!).
Helen

xx
Clover

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2007, 22:24
by WG.
xx
Clover Poisonous?

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 14, 2009, 12:57
by LittleRedHen

Page created in 0.754 seconds with 36 queries.