are my ex bats ok

• 11 Replies

bunch29

are my ex bats ok
« on: February 10, 2009, 12:47 »
Hi guys

I have my 3 ex bats for 2 1/2 weeks now they were fine at first but I am a little worried now. The last couple of days they have been dropping feathers like crazy, there was a couple of runny poos on the first day they started dropping feathers but that seems to be ok now. They are eating nd drinking fine, I can see new feathers coming in places but other areas on them are bear one of the girls does seem to be picked on more but not badly as far as I can tell but she certainly is bottom of the pecking order. we have had alot of snow last week and this week some rain but looking a bit better today and they do come out in it to eat.
Could they just be moulting or is it likely to be a lice or mite problem any advice would be lovely.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: are my ex bats ok
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 12:57 »
Just seems to be moulting to me, the new feathers don't all come at the same time, but just to be on the safe side, check the chickens around the vent area and armpits, so will see lice if they have them, they are nearly as big a human lice.  then check the house itself for red mite, although it should be too cold for them at the moment.  run a tissue under their perch and in any creases and cracks, if it comes out red, its probably red mite.

Hope they get their new feathers soon, as it is still very cold.  I've got an 8 week old Babcock who is nearly bald, but she' isnt being pecked much, she's never really grown many feathers!!!

Debbie D

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 13:08 »
It might be a delayed reaction to the shock of being free, ours did a similar thing when we got them but soon grew lovely new feathers and now they look fab.

Meg

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 15:35 »
One of my ex-bats was just like yours...she took much longer than the others to fledge and she dropped a lot of feathers in the process.

She was the one who resolutely would go on laying eggs so she was just using up too much energy I think! The other two, very sensibly, decided that feathers were a priority and didn't lay for a fortnight.

If it's any help, it's absolutely natural to fret a bit about them. I've just got to the stage of cheerful neglect after three months (which means I don't go out and check on them every half hour  ::))

betty

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 15:50 »
Try increasing their protiene.  I find giving them cooked meat grows their feathers back quickly and adds shine to their feathers.  I feed it to them on a regular basis, throughout molt or winter months.  It also produces a large egg.  yf Betty

bunch29

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 18:12 »
Thanks guys

I do worry about them especially seeing as the weather has been so bad and I do prob over check on them (meg) :D but i am getting better its getting less honestly, does all make sense as they have pretty much stopped laying,  just shut them up for the night and they all sleep in a row in the nest box silly things but they do look lovely huddled up together  :)

CDave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 19:37 »
I got my ex-bats at smae time as you (same release?). 2 of my 4 are dropping feathers like crazy. Other than that - they are fab.Quicly learning to be "normal" again. I wouldn't worry too much if everything else seems ok. Good luck.

Rhode Runner

• The Poultry Garden
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 20:01 »
Hi bunch 29 I can only agree with what everybody has said. they do need plenty of protein whilst making new feathers and some keepers feed cat food which is full of protein. This will hopefully get them through the moult quickly and then you will get some lovely tasty eggs for your breakfast out of gratitude.

Incidentally it may be worth mentioning that  batts are considered spent at about 74 weeks when they go through their first moult and are cleared out by the farmer. Obviously they will not go into the moult all at precisely the same time. They need protein for eggs and protein for feather growth which is why during the moult they go off the lay.

Try cat feed.

Allan
It's not growing old that stops you doing things
Its stopping doing things that makes you old.

betty

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 22:07 »
Question on the cat feed.  Do you moisten it with water?  Or do you give it to them dry?

bunch29

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 22:59 »
Thanks for that :) what sort of cat food tinned or dried and how much and how often do you think? sorry just dont want to over do it.

Rhode Runner

• The Poultry Garden
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 15:12 »
If you use dried then moisten it.  Most I know use tinned. Higher protein content the better.

HTH

Allan

betty

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 15:49 »
Thanks for that.  I am going to try the cat food.  I'm sure it will be less work for me.  yf Betty :D

xx
Where to get ex-bats

Started by chasechicken on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 25, 2009, 09:57
by chasechicken
xx
Day 1 for my Ex-Bats

Started by tezzer on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 19:04
by tezzer
xx
Ex-bats

Started by cool chick on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 27, 2008, 11:33
by WoodyK
xx
ex-bats

Started by nicchick on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 12:36
by nicchick

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 28 queries.