One of the girls doesn't look right

• 19 Replies

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 11:36 »
Hi, well here it is (if I have done it right) a nice ( :shock: ) picture of poo deposited (in I have to say rather a projectile way) this morning from the hen who keeps 'dipping' and occasionally walking sideways (she does seem to be doing it less and otherwise looks completely normal).  Hope it helps.  Interested to hear thoughts.  Thanks :D  (by the way the item on the right hand side of the picture is a stick)

Vember

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 11:48 »
I'm so glad you pointed out it was a stick NDD :lol:

The poo doesn't look right but as to what it could be,  Aunt Sally is the lady for helping with that job :D
It's not easy to tell in the pic but is there whole bits of food in there or is it all sludgy?

Just out of interest have you managed to get the wormer?
I presume she hasn't laid since going off colour?

What's her general appearance like? Eye's, comb that sort of thing? :)

Sarah :D

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 11:57 »
Hi

Sorry not a very good piccy, deposited in their run before let out so a bit muddy all round, no food in it just sludgy.  It was quite a runny one and as mentioned projectile (never seen anything like it actually - since then I have seen her do others and they are quite normal, if rather solid and pellet like).

Not sure if she has laid, we have 4 of them and 2 eggs today, I recall someone mentioned somewhere about putting food colouring round the vent so that when they laid you could tell which hen was or wasn't laying (ie different colours for different hens).  Not sure if this is a good idea or not?

Other than this she is fine, comb nice and pink and upright, eyes bright, pecking and scratching like normal (very hungry this morning), running about and pecking my wellies.

I did get wormer, but Mole Valley (our local Agri supplier) doesn't do Flubenvent just something herbal - Verm X (!).  You are supposed to put it in their water but frankly they don't seem keen.  Alternatively you can put it on bread, so if they don't start drinking the water soon (think they have other supplies somewhere!), will try the bread trick.  Don't know if this stuff is any good, but all they seem to stock and they seemed to think it was OK?

Vember

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 12:02 »
As far as I'm aware Vermx is more prevention than cure and it doesn't work against Gape worm :?

Have to admit never heard of the food colouring egg trick - it's not something I'd do :)

The follow up poos were I presume normal in colour etc...

Sarah :D

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 12:20 »
Blast, have to get off to vet then for Flubenvent.

Yes, I was a bit doubtful about the food colouring, can't remember where I got it from.

Latest poo was normal colourwise.

Thanks for your help.  NDD :D

question
doesn't go to bed

Started by speedy chicken on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 24, 2009, 09:58
by shiatsusu
xx
My chicken just doesn't want to pop one out!

Started by DaddyJay on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 23, 2008, 23:35
by mumsy
xx
Dammit Tilly doesn't have a cold . .

Started by chooksbury on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 25, 2010, 09:39
by beulah59
xx
Is there such a thing as a bantam that doesn't go broody?

Started by ness on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 28, 2008, 22:00
by Bodger

Page created in 0.433 seconds with 36 queries.