Courgettes on the dung heap?

• 19 Replies

VickyR

« on: March 02, 2007, 12:32 »
Hello again :)

I've got 4 tons of manure currently rotting down on my allotment.

Could I put soil (6-10 inches?) over part of this and grow courgettes or squashes on it later in the year?

It's been rotting down for about three months now and is currently covered with black plastic.  

I know people sometimes make a hot box but I am none too good with the woodwork!

Thanks
Vicky

WG.

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 13:24 »
You will get a massive amount of leaves and not necessarily many courgettes.   They'll crop better if you give them masses of space per plant, and don't be afraid to hack off a few leaves to let the sun / air onto the flowers.

Annie

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 13:31 »
My hubby did something similar but we covered 1/2 with 8" soil and the rest grow bags,there didn`t seem much difference and we had more courgettes than we have ever had and when they were finished the manure was spread over the other beds.We will be popping next door for more manure next month to repeat the experiment with less courgette plants and adding some squash.

WG.

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 13:46 »
Quote from: "Annie"
did something similar but we covered 1/2 with 8" soil and the rest grow bags
Courgettes don't go very deep so I doubt they reached the dung Annie.  I'd suggest a plug of soil, 4" deep by 6" diameter to get the courgette started.  Then stand back.  

A black poly mulch helps keep the water at the roots.

agapanthus

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 13:58 »
How about pumpkins grown in the same manner? I have a pile of rotted down chicken pooh and wanted to try and grow an xtra large pumpkin this year to raise funds for our local hospice....only want to grow 1 or 2 plants this way,

WG.

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 14:06 »
Quote from: "agapanthus"
How about pumpkins grown in the same manner? I have a pile of rotted down chicken pooh and wanted to try and grow an xtra large pumpkin this year to raise funds for our local hospice....only want to grow 1 or 2 plants this way,
Absolutely.  Don't see why not .. is it WELL rotted though since chicken dung is powerful stuff.   You could use larger soil pockets to compensate.

I did try it with pumpkin once but early frosts (September) left me with pumpkins smaller than a gold ball.

Annie

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 14:10 »
We were being cautious,this years plan(!!)is nice brick built beds(2 I think) with one end board or something for emptying at the end of the season are going to try 6" soil and a seep hose since I found watering a high bed quite tough.
Ours started as a storage solution for manure but OH got all enthusiastic and instead of being hardscaper,digger and mover of heavy objects is muscling in on the plants although he leaves me to the seed sewing and potting on.

WG.

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 14:14 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
 You could use larger soil pockets to compensate.
You could also turn it around and use chicken muck to enrich pockets of regular garden soil.  Try both & tell us all which works best for you.   :)

agapanthus

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 14:21 »
Think I will do Whisy:)

WG.

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 14:28 »
muscling in on the plants although he leaves me to the seed sewing and potting on.
I am lucky(?) in the sense that Mrs Golf takes ZERO interest in the garden.  She loves the veg of course, but only once harvested or, better still, cooked.

She also loves the sleek, healthy, suntanned, muscled Adonis who has to do all the hard work  :wink:  :wink: .  That's ME before any wag asks who helps me out.

ziggywigs

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 22:14 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"

She also loves the sleek, healthy, suntanned, muscled Adonis who has to do all the hard work  :wink:  :wink: .  That's ME before any wag asks who helps me out.

OH is the same as Mrs WG only interested in the harvesting and eating...but that's great for me as i get it all to myself.

Annie

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 22:50 »
:cry: I did not write anything about suntanned Adonis,that was WG boasting again,though OH does have good legs and sexy forearms!
However the vegi plot was my little kingdom,and since OH works from a workshop at home,my space.Now he`s taking over potatoes,parsnips/carrots.courgettes/squash,says we shouldn`t grow so many toms in the greenhouse-just have to hope that he helps with the watering this year and doesn`t notice that Izzie has her own little bed!
!

WG.

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 22:53 »
WG boasting again

First offence I think Annie  :lol:     Remind me never to throw out that magic mirror I've got.

Annie

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 22:55 »
Only Mrs WG can settle this one! :lol:

WG.

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 22:59 »
Only Mrs WG can settle this one! :lol:

I had to hide her glasses 10 years ago.

xx
Question on planting courgettes in compost heap

Started by mabel on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 29, 2008, 19:48
by sophiejo
xx
Dung?

Started by Tattieman69 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 21:06
by DavidT
xx
which dung is best ??

Started by Sheriff Sprout on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post November 12, 2008, 10:53
by Salmo
xx
excuse me while i do me dung.

Started by peabody on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post December 05, 2008, 07:54
by robbodaveuk

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 28 queries.