Question on planting courgettes in compost heap

• 4 Replies

mabel

• Experienced Member
« on: March 29, 2008, 12:27 »
I have just turned my compost heap.  It is looking quite good but isn't heating up.  Anyway it seems to be composting down and there are loads of worms in there so it can take it's time.  The question is, I want to plant a courgette in there.  I have it covered with weed suppressing fabric and want to plant through that so do I have to put a load of fresh soil in there to plant it in or just stick it straight in the compost?  Sorry it's abit long winded but needed to explain. :oops: I'll shut up now and go away :roll:

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 14:50 »
I plant courgettes on top of the compost in the daleks bins, topped off though with a good layer of manure.  I actually plant the courgette though into some growbag compost as the manure can burn the plant stem if its a bit fresh, but when the courgette gets going it gets its roots into the poop and compo

You can plant them on your compost heap too. I didn't bother with any sheet mulch as the courgette leaves are quite big and generally supress weeds

mabel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 16:31 »
Thanks for that.  Trouble is, if I leave off the weed supressing stuff the cats think I have made them a new toilet.   I'll stick in some new soil and plant through that.

dangolding

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 18:56 »
Rather than planting courgettes on the compo heap - try growing pumpkins.

We did this last year (although they were started off in pots) and we could not believe the size or taste of them - absolutely amazing

sophiejo

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 19:48 »
So once they are a decent size you can just plant them out on top of the compost heap? Can you still add to the heap while they are growing? what happens as the level of the compost drops? also one last question!...is it still good compost when they have finished growing,for the garden in the autumn?
It sounds like a brilliant idea and use of space, we have a wooden slatted compost heap, with frequent rat visitors....do they eat pumpkin?!

xx
compost heap and worms question

Started by mushroom on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post October 30, 2007, 11:25
by WG.
xx
Question about putting tom plants on compost heap

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 07, 2010, 16:51
by Babstreefern
xx
Courgettes on the dung heap?

Started by VickyR on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 02, 2007, 23:13
by Annie
xx
planting directly on the muck heap

Started by nannytroll on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 05, 2015, 11:36
by nannytroll

Page created in 0.54 seconds with 36 queries.