sick chicken

• 11 Replies

vickivee

sick chicken
« on: January 09, 2009, 11:51 »
hi, can anyone offer some helpfull advice.I have three chickens who have been happy and healthy since i got them last spring(bought as point of lay)I have recently taken them off layers pellets to give them a bit of a rest over winter.They are fed on rice pasta cooked lentils and beans fruit and veg corn and wheat.They seem quite happy on this and just all(i think) lay the odd egg.The problem is Gladys is loosing all her feathers!!!  The other two are fine, she is feeding ok and the others do not appear to be picking on her as far as I can tell.All three live in the hen house together and ore outside in the back garden during daylight hours.Their bedding is a mix of recycled shredded paper wood shavings and straw.Please help.

Bodger

sick chicken
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 11:59 »
Hoprfully, your chicken sounds as though its going through the very normal process of moulting out its old feathers and there's nothing to worry about. :thumright:

Foxy

sick chicken
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 11:59 »
Hello there,

change in diet could have triggered a moult -I would put them straight back on layers -they dont need a break from the pellets -it contains all the nutrients they need to keep healthy, as well as the right levels of calcium and protein for good feather maintenance.
You could supplement diet with a little poultry spice to help feather regrowth.
Keep a close eye is is moulting and the feather loss is not due to pecking prompted by lack of protein in the diet or maybe mites.
Hope this helps! :D

Vember

sick chicken
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 11:59 »
HI Vickivee

Have you given her a complete looking over to check for creepie crawlies :?

Is there any particular area that is worst on her than others?

Sarah :)

Foxy

sick chicken
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 12:00 »
snap bodger!!!  :D  :D

Bodger

sick chicken
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 12:09 »
Both at the same time Foxy :lol: They must be doing it in alphabetical order. :thumright:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
sick chicken
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 14:22 »
Definitly put them back on layers pellets as Foxy says.  They need to build themselves up while not laying and store a good amount of calcium in their bones ready for making egg shells again !  If you don't you may get soft shelled eggs  :(

vickivee

sick chicken
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 17:31 »
Thanks      to everyone for their helpful advice.I have put them on layers again.I have had agood look at her and their doesn't seem to be any creepy crawleys around.Have also sectioned her off in the hen house just incase the others are having a peck at her, although i don't think they are.Will also add the spice as Foxy suggests, so hopefully all will be well.

Foxy

sick chicken
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 18:25 »
If there is no evidence of pecking, usually its quite obvious unfortunately, I wouldn't worry personally about sectioning off as it may causes distress to be away from her companions,  mine have never pecked each other during their moult,just a thought :D  :D

desandchez

SICK HEN
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 08:37 »
I wouldnt segregate your hens especialy in this weather they need each other for warmth Im sure like the others have stated its probably due to the change of diet .If she is moulting then she will need to keep her self as warm as possible
best of luck

Oliveview

sick chicken
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 12:16 »
We have a moulting hen, she has been in moult now for about 3 months :shock:   Over Christmas she looked very poorly and was running a temperature, and walking sideways, so we segregated her in the garage in a nice warm box and gave her the antibiotics (getting my moneys worth from the packet :D ) and after 4 days she was fine, her temp was normal (well she didn´t feel very hot anymore)  and was walking normally.  She is now back with the other hens and looking much better, her feathers are growing (looks painful) and she is giving the other hens a run for their money in the food rush when I put down the scraps.  I had thought she might be being bullied but if anything she is the one that chases away the others if there is something interesting.:lol:
Pamela

Foxy

sick chicken
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 14:02 »
when I went out this morning saw the tell tale signs of hen moulting, daft bird in this weather?? :D

question
Sick Chicken

Started by Rose Moss on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2012, 22:57
by ANHBUC
xx
chicken being sick ???????

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post April 02, 2009, 20:26
by alotment shed
xx
Sick chicken...?

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 11, 2008, 10:47
by compostqueen
sad
HELP!!!! Sick chicken

Started by katrina17 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 06:56
by joyfull

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 36 queries.