HELP!!!! Sick chicken

• 5 Replies

katrina17

HELP!!!! Sick chicken
« on: August 24, 2010, 16:06 »
Hi All - New to the site & keeping chickens- hope someone can help me !
Had my 3 girls now for about three months,bought them from a reputable breeder at 16-18 weeks old.All were doing well except Daisy who has only ever laid two normal eggs in total,the rest have been soft shell,they have grit ect & are fed on mash with oyster shell & have apple vinegar in there water.
Sunday evening Daisy wasnt looking well & was sitting still most of the time with her eyes closed,she also has white runny poo.Took her to the vets yesterday & they said she may have coccidiosis but wouldnt treat for it until we sent poo sample off.They gave her an antibiotic jab & she perked up alot until this afternoon when shes gone downhill again. I have sent for some coxoid that should be here tom, anyone have any advice for me ?

Knight Family

Re: HELP!!!! Sick chicken
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 16:32 »
Could this be lack of calicum in there diet? Also why dont you feed the pellets, since they are laying, as we have a girl who is separated but keep having prolapes and gives white poo, I think because of the egg issues.
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

katrina17

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 16:40 »
Thanks for the reply,I was told to give the apple vinegar daily to them for calcium & they also have baked egg shells.I have also given them cat food a couple of times.The breeder told me to keep them on the same food as they have been used to, its layers crumb (Sorry not mash ), but I was going to get pellets when iv used the mash up.Really hope shes going to be ok

Knight Family

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 20:06 »
Could be wrong but I'm sure Apple viniger wont help the calcium. However Poultry spice will as it has 20% calcuim, which you mix with the food.

katrina17

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 06:36 »
thanks for that I will get some & give it a try, she has come out of the coop right as rain this morning  ;)... confused ! If she had coccidiosis would she be going up and down like this ? not sure if I should give her coxoid. If it is a prolasps will she be suffering at all ?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 06:56 »
Is she eating enough? - white poohs can be a sign of drinking loads and not enough feed, it can also be a sign of kidney problems. I doubt it will be a lack of calcium at her age but please make sure they have access to enough leafy greens which help with the absorbtion of calcium.
When do you get the results back from the vets?
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Help! My Chicken is sick

Started by cladaw05 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 19, 2010, 15:11
by Aunt Sally
xx
sick chicken, help please

Started by bluebirds love chickens on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 02, 2009, 18:43
by bluebirds love chickens
xx
Sick Chicken

Started by Old Barn Hens on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 22:29
by Beakybird
xx
sick chicken help pls

Started by f7rr3ll on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 16:32
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 1.724 seconds with 29 queries.