help growing your own in pots

• 5 Replies

bunch29

« on: January 02, 2009, 19:30 »
Hi everyone
I have a very small garden and started growing my own in pots last year while like alot of people I wait anxiostly for an allotment, so I am quite new to this can anyone tell me what I could be doing at the moment either bringing seeds on or straight to pot any help or advice would be great also tips on what will do well in pots.

Thanks

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 20:04 »
Hi Bunch29,

Most things can be grown in pots if they are big enough, and you feed and water enough.  I'd avoid maincrop onions (as opposed to salad ones), and tall things like sweetcorn, raspberries etc.

You'll probably get smaller and fewer crops than you would in the ground, but it's certainly worth a try.

As space is limited, I'd decide what you like eating, and what is difficult or expensive to buy in the shops.  Spuds are easy but it's a small yield per planter.

I'd probably start with plants such as beans (dwarf or climbing), perhaps a courgette, peas, carrots, small leeks, salad leaves, tomatoes, the list goes on.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Elcie

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 10:05 »
Hi Bunch, I am lucky in that I got an allotment last year although it is very small!  I have used the space inbetween the raised beds to put pots and it worked brilliantly and looked great too!

Last year I grew dwarf runner beans, potatoes, salad leaves, herbs, lettuce, turnip and radishes in pots.  I am planning on expanding this next season.

I currently have carrots growing from a thread a while back about overwintering carrots and they seem to be doing ok, if a little slow, but what can we expect in this weather!

I have been looking through some seed catalogues and have seen some peppers and tomatoes that I will also grow in pots this year.  There are some great hanging basket tomato varieties that I can't wait to try.

Good luck with it!

bunch29

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 15:59 »
Thanks for the replies, last year I grew tomatos, cucumbers in a trough did well, peppers, cougette (did not go well though dont think they had enough sun) chillis radishes salad onions and salad leaves just not sure wether there is much I could be doing now I only have room for a 4 tier cold frame so prob too cold for anything at the mo.

kezlou

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 16:19 »
I use old bins, milk bottles chopped in half etc. for growing in.
I normally sow stright to pot, tried peat seed pots and managed to  make them go all mouldy. Hangin baskets are good for strawberries and tomatoes that might free up a bit of space, maybe. This year i'm putting garlic in pots, along with carrots, salad, pots, peas, beans, tomatoes, potatoes etc basically anything i can get my hand on.
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

Riala

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 16:32 »
I have seen how you do leeks, with the "making a deep hole and drop them in" way to grow them... do I do the same with carrots?

I planted some very late (Sept I think) and They do not seem to have done much really.

The radishes that I planted at the same time I pull a few days ago, they were all nice, big and pink. Mum says they were lovely!

The Leeks, Garlic and Carrots do not seem to have grown at all.

The onions and cabbage I have also given up on.  I know I planted very very late, but it has helped me understand plants and the seed - seedling - planting experience that i wanted.  

I have a homemade cold-frame that Dad made me, and I have lots of 4pinter milk cartons that I cut the tops off ready for literally anything to go in!

xx
Growing in pots

Started by Jd1980 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 27, 2020, 17:12
by Mr Dog
xx
growing pots

Started by Hadakare on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 12, 2015, 09:57
by Lesleyk
xx
Best veg for growing in pots

Started by freezef on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 11:26
by andreadon
xx
Growing herbs in pots - a few Q.s

Started by AdrianL on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 22:42
by AdrianL

Page created in 0.491 seconds with 30 queries.