Growing herbs in pots - a few Q.s

• 2 Replies

AdrianL

Growing herbs in pots - a few Q.s
« on: May 18, 2009, 18:59 »
Please bear with me, as I am a total novice and need an idiot's guide to anything gardening-related ...

I have some large pots in our backyard and would like to grow herbs in them, specifically: rosemary, basil, oregano, parsley, sage, thyme and mint. The round pots are 12-18inch diameter and about the same in height and the rectangular ones about 4x8x24.

So a few questions:

1. The pots have had plants in them which have died from neglect. I think the compost in them is soil-based, although I'm not sure how to tell? Will it be low on nutrients now anyway? Is it worth me clearing them out and starting afresh? I have nowhere to throw the soil, and it seems a bit wrong to 'throw away' soil...

2. If I do need to start afresh, will John Innes no.3 be ok for potting young herb plants? (there's a bag of it here).

3. The plants: was going to head down to Homebase - what do I need to watch out for when choosing these plants?

4. If I need to plant a couple of the herbs together, which will sit next to eachother well and need less space?

5. Lastly, any particular tips on potting, placing, and caring for them?

I realise there's a hell of a lot there, so any answers at all would be much appreciated.

Ta.

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
Re: Growing herbs in pots - a few Q.s
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 19:37 »
I'd be growing a separate herb in each pot if you can and have enough pots - if not and can afford it, buy beg or borrow some more pots or cut down on your choices.

New compost would probably be best, but mixing half and half might work too. A lot of herbs like sandier soil, so perhaps add a bit to your compost as well. They may need some food later in the year to keep them happy. your pots are more than big enough for a good sprinkling of seeds if you want to go that route, but 3 or 4 small plants would do the trick in this size of container.

Most of the ones you mention are annual and can be quite tender, so be prepared to protect them from extreme conditions, and sow every year.  Others such as rosemary  should turn into hardy bushes for you. Good luck

« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 19:38 by barney rubble »

AdrianL

Re: Growing herbs in pots - a few Q.s
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 22:42 »
thanks Barney

xx
Parsley and other herbs - In Pots?

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 28, 2014, 09:00
by JayG
xx
Compost for herbs in pots

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 11, 2013, 16:52
by goodtogrow
xx
Growing Herbs.

Started by Plot 6B on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 16, 2015, 11:23
by lettice
xx
Growing herbs

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 16:58
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.808 seconds with 36 queries.