Parsley and other herbs - In Pots?

• 9 Replies

adri

• Experienced Member
    • peak hives
Parsley and other herbs - In Pots?
« on: May 27, 2014, 22:41 »
I'm so used to buying the fresh herbs in pots from the supermarket that I'm not sure whether XYZ herb should or should not be grown in a pot.

Current dilemma is Parsley.  Would it do better in the bed in a polytunnel or in a pot.  Does it depend on whether it's an annual or perrenial?

TIA

Adri
Peak Hives

snowdrops

Re: Parsley and other herbs - In Pots?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 08:28 »
Any would be fine, for parsley during the winter I'd sow some in the PT. But really it depends on how much you use as to how much to sow I'd have thought. Following another thread on here I'm re watching Fork to fork on you tube with Monty Don, just watched the herb episode,3. Might be worth you watching. Chap next to me at the allotment always has a lovely long row of parsley on the plot all winter,sows it around August I think. I intend to be self sufficient in these herbs by next year,I'm sick of the little flies that come with the bought ones as well as the cost. DD uses loads
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 08:34 »
Agree with Snowy that parsley does well in pots, the ground, or under cover, but tbh it is polytunnel space wasted on it for most of the year, as it copes perfectly well outside.

I have a half row of curly that is now on its second year and running to seed, and flat leaf that has been out since mid March (sown indoors as it was so wet everywhere)

Great to be able to use it in great big handfuls  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 08:35 »
Parsley is a biennial.

I sow some every year, starting it off in a seed tray and planting out in clumps. It's at its most productive about this time of year in its second year, before it goes to seed.

I find no need to grow it inside, but if you do, the advantage, of course, is that you don't have to look for it under several feet of snow!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 08:36 »
Pretty much snap!

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 08:38 »
[quote author=DD. link=topic=114825.msg1320655#msg1320655 date

I find no need to grow it inside, but if you do, the advantage, of course, is that you don't have to look for it under several feet of snow!
[/quote]

Yes that's what I was thinking with the suggestion for winter use plus it does wilt if severely frosted.

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 08:40 »
Having had germination problems with curly I tried the flat leaf this year and it's a total waste of space - no taste to it at all, Im going back to curly sown thickly in 3" pots every week and cutting the lot when it's needed. Coriander the same, although the pots are bigger as I use more.  :nowink:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 08:41 »
When we have several feet of snow I cannot get out of our house, so tend not to worry about finding the parley at the plot  :lol: :lol:

Last time that was forecast I went and cut  a lot, and kept some on the windowsill in a vase, and some in the fridge in a placky bag, which did us for a while

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 08:43 »
Yes it does keep well like that Sunny

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 09:00 »
I grow flat-leaf parsley in a fairly shady spot as I have a few of those and it's one of the few Mediterranean herbs which seems to prefer a bit of shade as well as a relatively moist, fertile soil.

It can look a bit sorry for itself in the depths of winter, and doesn't grow much when it's very cold - I'd probably start some off in early autumn for winter use from the GH if I ever remembered to think about it at the right time!  ::)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
pots of parsley

Started by Jen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 25, 2008, 15:52
by Jen
xx
Growing herbs in pots - a few Q.s

Started by AdrianL on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 22:42
by AdrianL
xx
Compost for herbs in pots

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 11, 2013, 16:52
by goodtogrow
xx
parsley

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 27, 2021, 16:54
by jaydig

Page created in 0.44 seconds with 37 queries.