Unwell Pullet

• 6 Replies

goose 68

Unwell Pullet
« on: November 19, 2008, 16:57 »
I am a novice poultry keeper and have recently purchased 5 blackrock pullets at 28 weeks old. 3 days ago I noticed one pullett was isolating herself and was not looking well. Tonight on locking the birds up I have noticed she has been pecked above the tail feathers and is bleeding. Is it routine to remove her from the pen and try to help her recover?

Vember

Unwell Pullet
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 17:03 »
Hi Goose
Welcome to the Hen House :D

Purple spray is your best bet, you can get it from most farm supply places. Chickens are attracted to red so will keep pecking at her.

It might be best to seperate her until you can get some purple spray, give her a good examination to check that everything else is ok.
Things to check are eye's bright, no wheezing or sneezing, have a look at the feather area around her vent to check that there are no lice etc..
Also see what her poops look like :)

Have they started laying yet?

Sarah :D

Foxy

Unwell Pullet
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 19:26 »
Hi Goose just a thought to add to Vembers post -is she being pecked around her vent or her back?
The reason I ask is sometimes hens will peck vents if they are prolapsed and you mentioned she is looking unwell, has she laid recently?
Also the most common reasons for feather pecking is boredom and once started a difficult habit to break.
Have they got enough room in their run? Recommended absolute minumum is 1msq per bird for the run

goose 68

Unwell Pullet
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 14:07 »
Quote from: "Foxy"
Hi Goose just a thought to add to Vembers post -is she being pecked around her vent or her back?
The reason I ask is sometimes hens will peck vents if they are prolapsed and you mentioned she is looking unwell, has she laid recently?
Also the most common reasons for feather pecking is boredom and once started a difficult habit to break.
Have they got enough room in their run? Recommended absolute minumum is 1msq per bird for the run

Thanks for your advise Foxy
Shae has been pecked above her tail feathers. Yes there is plenty of room for them.She had been laying but no eggs past 3 days

goose 68

Unwell Pullet
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 20:11 »
Quote from: "Vember"
Hi Goose
Welcome to the Hen House :D

Purple spray is your best bet, you can get it from most farm supply places. Chickens are attracted to red so will keep pecking at her.

It might be best to seperate her until you can get some purple spray, give her a good examination to check that everything else is ok.
Things to check are eye's bright, no wheezing or sneezing, have a look at the feather area around her vent to check that there are no lice etc..
Also see what her poops look like :)

Have they started laying yet?

Hi. Sarah
Yes she was laying but no eggs past three days. A friend thinks it may be lead poisoning where I live used to be an old lead mining village. Have you ever come across this before? :roll:

Vember

Unwell Pullet
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 20:20 »
No Sorry I haven't come across that :(

I would have thought that the reason she isn't laying is either because she's being picked on or the fact that winter is approaching and they're getting less hours of daylight.
I don't get as many eggs at this time of year :D

Do they have access to oyster shell & grit at all times ? Might sound a silly question but it is needed to help the hens produce the eggies :D

poultrygeist

Unwell Pullet
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 20:22 »
Hi goose.

Can't add anythign new except we have plenty of room for our 6 and recently noticed 3 were being pecked.
I've added a load of dried leaves for them to forage in as well as hanging up greens just in reach at full stretch which keeps them occupied for a while.
If there's plenty of food to try and get, they seem to ignore the social side for a while. As long as the top birds get first jump at the greens of course ! :)

Rob 8)

xx
pullet or roo

Started by kaz1510 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 20:21
by kaz1510
xx
Pullet or Cockerel?

Started by kegs on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 15, 2011, 20:38
by Casey76
xx
Hybrid Pullet

Started by Feathers on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 28, 2009, 23:01
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Pullet not laying yet?

Started by pandora on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 09:40
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 36 queries.