planting apple trees

• 7 Replies

Janeymiddlewife

planting apple trees
« on: November 13, 2008, 17:03 »
I've just had a small bonus at work :D , I'd like to buy some apple trees with it as there aren't any near my plot.
I know i will need 2 different types to pollinate, I need to check the rootstock so i know how big they'll get/ water well the first year/ probably put some sort of rabbit protection around them - but
what else do i need to look out for, any recommendations for nurseries to purchase online from, or is it better to go and buy some in pots at a nursery?
thanks
janeym

AndyRVTR

planting apple trees
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 17:13 »
Hi Janey... try LIDL... :D they have some cracking trees...

waddecar

• Experienced Member
planting apple trees
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 22:02 »
Janey, this is the website for info on fruit:

LINK

PinkTequila

• Experienced Member
planting apple trees
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 23:07 »
Personally I like to see what I am buying and make sure I get a good tree. Bare rooted are normally pretty good, and you can see what you are getting in terms of well developed roots! Decide what size trees you want,  I guess a semi or dwarfing rootstock probablyand make sure you prune them correctly to get the right shape now rather than have to prune more drastically in later years. I would then go for a dessert and a cooker in the same pollination group.

Janeymiddlewife

planting apple trees
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 23:24 »
Thanks, very helpful, just need to make room for them now!!

SG6

planting apple trees
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 21:53 »
Brogdale, the link you were given, will graft any apple type they have, 2000+, on to any rootstock you choose.

That is where I got mine from, all grew. Guess M9 rootstock is probably the best.

DANNY

planting apple trees
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 21:54 »
Quote from: "Janeymiddlewife"
Thanks, very helpful, just need to make room for them now!!

One or two points worth talking about here, (1) as the apple tree,s will be in the ground for many years its well worth while to plant them away from buildings as the roots can cause problems to old walls etc and drains,
and (2) again as these trees will be in the ground for years its well worth ensuring you use good root feed to help them settle "fish blood, is a good one and then once" staked "and planted ensure you use a manure mulch to help both keep the roots moist and keep frost from damaging the roots,
ref protection from rabbits etc, I cut an old oil drum top and base out of the drum and then cut the remaining drum down one side, this enables me to hold the drum open enough to get it so the tree sits in the middle of the drum shell, keeps all animals away from the bark but also helps keep the wind from the base and if I get a strong frost I can fill the shell of the drum with straw to aid protection, I live in France and we do have deer, sheep etc so this is a very good method.

All fruit trees are money well spent when you think of all the years you,ll have fruit to show from the initial outlay.
KEEN GARDENER ENJOYS ALL ASPECS OF THE COUNTRYSIDE

paintedlady

planting apple trees
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 06:37 »
Do check the pollinating partners very carefully - it's not just a case of 2 apple trees (some like Bramley are triploid & will only pollinate with another of its kind)  Some are even self-fertile although they make good partners for other apples - and also WHEN they flower too (although all flower in spring, some are just a bit earlier or later so might miss each other)

I'm lucky to have a long (but narrow) garden and now have 5 different eating apples & 2 Bramleys, 2 conference pears, a sweet cherry, 2 black cherry & a plum - all on semi dwarf root stock, as well as a dwarf peach  :D   Best investment I made 5 years ago - I've had the most fantastic apple & plum crop this year and my freezer is full, have jars of sauce & getting on with dried apple rings.  I would highly recommend getting fruit trees if you have the space  :wink:  (I've also got 5 elders - no crop this year due to heavy pruning, but next year there will be a good crop of flowers & berries for wine & port  8) )

Also, might be handy to read up on growing of varieties before purchasing - I have a Cox which struggles to produce anything because the soil conditions are not right (wish I'd known this before I bought it - see, I speak from experience  :lol: ) but it still has lovely blossom and makes a pollinating partner for others.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

xx
Planting Cider Apple Trees

Started by MidlandBrewer on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 27, 2016, 14:14
by MidlandBrewer
xx
Espallier apple trees and prunning normal Apple trees

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 20, 2019, 18:11
by londongardener
xx
Apple trees

Started by engineer on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 01, 2012, 19:08
by leeks r us
xx
new apple trees

Started by sloworm on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 05:19
by oldbean

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 36 queries.