our veggies

• 12 Replies

chrissie B

our veggies
« on: May 27, 2008, 18:27 »
well we pulled up most of our broccoli and coulis before they bolt as we are having 30 + degrees , we have eaten some and they were lovely but my large onion had gone a bit squishy so we pulled up all the onions as well so they didn't go the same way .
Chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

gobs

our veggies
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 20:10 »
Are you giving it a rest or still trying to grow this and that when it gets even warmer, Chrissie?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

chrissie B

our veggies
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 19:07 »
well what i thought i would do is once all the veg is up and ready i will just dig over my garden and put a bit of lime in it and let it rest hopefully i will be able to put in some broccoli and all year coulis in and have them ready for Christmas time but not sure when to start off the seeds for these .
Chrissie b

gobs

our veggies
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 20:29 »
In Hungary, we do plant short season broccoli in August for autumn harvest, so you are looking to sow a suitable variety in late July or early  August  - at a guess - as you are quite a bit warmer.

chrissie B

our veggies
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 08:20 »
OK gobs i will try that but how do i know what is short term , can i use the seeds i just grew and will my soil be OK by then , i dont mind if they are small .
Chrissie b

gobs

our veggies
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 08:43 »
Should say on seed packet days to harvest, no other way to know.

chrissie B

our veggies
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 09:12 »
OK thanks i will rummage through my seeds and drag hubby round the garden centre again , he will be happy .
thanks for the help , know anything about roses ?got a post on general gardening  :lol:  :lol:
Chrissie b

Raycrete

• http://crete.wordpress.com/
our veggies
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 20:21 »
Hi Chrissie, up north there in Halkidiki . . .

The best way to grow vegetables here in Crete, and I suspect where you live as well, is to just buy the plants on offer at the agricultural co-op or similar. Using seeds from the UK is risky because it is simply a different climate and the needs of the plants differ accordingly.

Here in Greece you can buy plants of caulis, broccoli, cabbage etc about now, ie in late October, November, because now is the time to plant them. They cost around 20 cents a plant. Lettuce you can grow all year round but it is winter lettuce in autumn and summer lettuce in spring. Soon we will plant the greek broad beans but the seeds are not the same as the UK although the beans grow and taste the same, but they are Mediterranean seeds.

If you must have seeds then buy Greek or Italian seeds, they are cheaper and much better. As for your sad tomato plants you must find a plant analyst in the village or nearest town that will tell you the problem and the cure. Plant analysts are easy to find, they are the people who check the acidity of the wine etc.

But do make sure that you plant local Greek tomato plants.

Ray

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
our veggies
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 21:20 »
Hi Chrissie & Ray
you are making us all jealous with this talk of temperatures of 30+. But what a fantastic place to live. I love the greek way of life and the people are fantastic. I had a great holiday in halkidiki about six years ago. :D
Life is a heap of manure. Growing one minute, stinking the next.

Raycrete

our veggies
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 22:03 »
Well Steve the temperatures are lower now, around 21 degrees Celsius and tonight we are hoping, praying for rain for the olives. The wind is from the south, Gadaffi's Revenge, we call it and it carries the red dust of the Libyan desert. We don't worry too much though, we close the window shutters and it passes by until the meltemi winds come again from the north bringing the temperatures down even further. Luckily the same wind blows in the summer and cools us in the heat which occasionally reaches 40 plus.

Yes life is good here, and although we watch the news on the TV - BBC and Sky News, all the bad stuff seems to come from the UK.

But we carry on - there is a saying here in Greek - Ti na karnoume - what can we do?

We just keep on keeping on, but the summers are warm and fine and winter is never so bad as the UK.

Take care,

Ray

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
our veggies
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 22:17 »
Hi Ray,

"Ti na karnoume - what can we do?"
Now thats what i like about the greek way off life, not too much stress or worry. Greece would be my dream place to live if i ever got to move abroard. You never know one day maybe 8)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
our veggies
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 22:33 »
When i lived in greece i bought all my seeds online from seeds of Italy because their seed packets show sowing times for the med area (as well as for UK).
I used to grow calabrese,  If i remember right sown at end of august in boxes and kept fairly shaded and then transplanted out beginning of october. I did the same with swede which used to grow rearly big!
Most things have to go in either a lot earlier or a lot later than they do in the uk (to avoid the summer heat) seems strange  all the salad and veg seems 'out of season' to us.
I never had to add lime because the soil never needed it. Shouldn't think you will either if your water is as hard as it was on Zakynthos. Had to descale kettle every week, do you use vinegar to do yours like i did? :D Seems a funny idea but works.

Raycrete

our veggies
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 22:49 »
Mumofstig I am sure that you are right. We lived in Scotland before we retired to Greece and there it was pure acid, the water and the soil. Here it is the opposite, Calcium rules and we have a limey soil as well as water.

But you and Steve can learn more about where I live by looking at my website which is printed at the bottom of my posts. It is very extensive and tells you about a different way of life for sure.

Ray

xx
Veggies in a box

Started by JimS on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 02:23
by DD.
xx
We have veggies!

Started by tosca100 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 02, 2014, 19:26
by Beetroot Queen
xx
Veggies are in at last

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 06, 2006, 08:09
by Oliveview
xx
Dog poo and growing veggies

Started by elrosco on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 20, 2010, 22:16
by Elcie

Page created in 0.553 seconds with 38 queries.