Grazing Rye

• 14 Replies

Bombers

Grazing Rye
« on: November 09, 2008, 19:46 »
A Question for all you Green manure growers out there, How long does Grazing Rye take to Germinate? I must have sown it 3 weeks ago, and not a sign of it yet? :roll: ( Did wonder whether it's all washed away?)  :lol:
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Grazing Rye
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 20:20 »
Never sown it Bomber but it does supposed to have a good germination rate as long as the temps over 4C, it is also reputed to inhibit germination of other seeds so it's good against weeds but you do need it to be dug well in for a few weeks before you sow your crops on that soil.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Salmo

Grazing Rye
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 23:42 »
It should be up by now. With the wet soil conditions it may be that slugs have eaten it underground. Carefully dig up a few grains. They may be hollowed out or the shoot may have beed nipped through or chewed. You may see slime trails.

To test for slugs put a few potato parings or other vegatable ( alternatively a sprinkling of slug pellets) under a weighed down plastic bag. Look next day and you will see the slugs. They will probably be grey keel slugs, they are tiny.

Bombers

Grazing Rye
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 09:36 »
Thanks Guys. As soon as the 'monsoon' season has finished, I'll Cast sail and take a look!  :roll:  :)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Grazing Rye
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 15:02 »
Pigeons  :evil:

lurkalott

Grazing Rye
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 11:14 »
reading these various threads about Grazeing Rye or the lack of brings to mind a few qustions Bombers  eg weather-slugs- germination rates them sky rats time of sowing  type of seed
1  weather/  could have poss drownd it?
2slugs/  again poss
3/germination rates  unlikely if
new seed poss if the seed is out of date
shop or merchant sold seed is generaly good quailty seed
4/ sky rats poss would have been spotted!!
5/time of sowing  iffy that one if conditions are right itll grow if they arnt it wont
6/type of seed if you have the aussie variety which it very much sounds like it simple will not grow in this country   lol
personaly ithink it is a bit of every thing   just bad luck
i hope this has helped       lurkalott

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Grazing Rye
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 11:17 »
Thanks lurkalot any idea where's best to buy it from ? I've seen it online etc but it seems pricey for a small amount can you get it in bigger quantities, not tons   :lol:

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
Grazing Rye
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 11:51 »
should deffo have been up in 3 weeks, i have one bed covered with it now and it is actually a bit too big.  I reckon it will have either rotted due to wet weather or slugs (been a real problem with all the rain) eating the seed before emergence as Salmo said.  Pigeons very unlikely, more likely crows/rooks can take the seed out of the ground but you would see evidence of that.  Mine was left over from last year and i think i got it from Chase Organics but you are right it ain't cheap, keeps weeds down tho if sown thick enough

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
Grazing Rye
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 17:02 »
Is this the same as forage rye.

Moles Seeds http://www.molesseeds.co.uk
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
Grazing Rye
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 19:25 »
i reckon so.  Planted now it will grow but will be slow and will stop once we get into real cold weather so in terms of preventing leaching of nutrients it will be less effective than if planted earlier but will reintroduce some when dug in, in Springtime

Cawdor

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
Grazing Rye
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 21:15 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Thanks lurkalot any idea where's best to buy it from ? I've seen it online etc but it seems pricey for a small amount can you get it in bigger quantities, not tons   :lol:

Hi Rich, sorry to butt in, but I have just bought some green manure loose from  the garden centre in mountsorrel, Brooklea (not WV opposite side of the A6)  I bought a really small amount about 3 handfulls, just for one of my little beds, just to trial it. it cost me 22p!

I think they do 2 kinds one in 'winter mix' and one is rye. The Rye is about £2/ 100g and the mix is £3/ 100g, judgung by my weight, you'd get plenty for 100g!

Bombers

Grazing Rye
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 21:24 »
Hey, great information there. Thanks. I'm still not sure what happened....
1) Weather. That's my n01 theory. - washed it all away. :roll:
2) Slugs. Yep a distinct possibility. :evil:
3)Germination - I don't think so. ( I've just checked my lottie bag and I've unfortunately chucked the wrapper), but it was brand spanking new seed from a 'very' reputable supplier.
4) Sky rats/Rooks, again unlikely, seeds were broadcast, then raked in a little., (Or have skyrats got radar vision? :shock: )
5) Time of sowing... Nope Again, conditions were fairly dry & Mild, It was in the ground at least a week before the first ground frost. :cry:
6) Origin. I don't know. I may pop down the Garden center and see.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Grazing Rye
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 21:31 »
Quote from: "loubylou29"
Quote from: "richyrich7"

Hi Rich, sorry to butt in, but I have just bought some green manure loose from  the garden centre in mountsorrel, Brooklea (not WV opposite side of the A6)  I bought a really small amount about 3 handfulls, just for one of my little beds, just to trial it. it cost me 22p!

I think they do 2 kinds one in 'winter mix' and one is rye. The Rye is about £2/ 100g and the mix is £3/ 100g, judgung by my weight, you'd get plenty for 100g!

Hi Loubylou long time no see, hows the plot ??

Thanks for the info I'll pop in next time I'm out that way, our lottie shop only sells mustard as Green M

lurkalott

Grazing Rye
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 21:39 »
bombers re 6 AUSSIE seed will not  grow ? why coz you planted it upside down

Bombers

Grazing Rye
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 21:48 »
Quote from: "lurkalott"
bombers re 6 AUSSIE seed will not  grow ? why coz you planted it upside down

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:   :roll:  Ohh. Blymee Bruce.... You're right! :roll:  :wink:

xx
Hungarian grazing rye

Started by Snowboar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 03, 2022, 23:56
by Digsowrepeat
xx
is it too late to sow hungarian grazing rye?

Started by rowe1311 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 25, 2012, 12:43
by rowe1311
xx
grazing rye ,bindweed and covers?

Started by redhat on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 08, 2007, 13:09
by muntjac
xx
green manure [Rye Grazing]

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 06, 2021, 16:28
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 37 queries.