green manure [Rye Grazing]

• 4 Replies

rowlandwells

green manure [Rye Grazing]
« on: November 21, 2020, 18:31 »
I've  been looking at growing green manures to improve our soil on the allotments i have mentioned this in previous topics talking to a fellow gardener and friend he told me to try growing Rye Grazing as a green manure he said its a good for improving the soil structure

having  recently sowed his  plot with Rye to overwinter he says it good for heavy soils although its not a nitrogen fixer I'm seriously thinking about growing as some of our ground is on the heavy side and anything that improves the soil structure must be worth a try

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
Re: green manure [Rye Grazing]
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 07:32 »
It's a bit of a pain to dig in and as it rots down it apparently it stops seeds germinating for a few weeks so you need to allow time for this.

I tried Hungarian grazing rye some years back in my first and second winter on the plot but for me I concluded that it added an extra job at what was already a busy time of the year on the plot so didn't continue.

I seem to recall that the Italian type is meant to be slightly easier to dig in than the Hungarian one that I used.

But as far as green manures go rye is the one that stands and grows slowly through winter so great for protecting the soil and adding structure.

I find the the sowseeds section on green manure very informative: https://www.sowseeds.co.uk/collections/green-manure-seeds

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 10:10 »
I tried sowing Lucerne as an overwintering green manure, I levelled the raised bed, sowed the seed and raked it over.  I now have a growth of Lucerne sprouting in a pile in the centre of the raised bed!  Must try harder on my raking tequnices.

Cheers,  Tony. :(
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 12:46 »
I agree with PPL that it's the devil's own work to dig in hungarian rye.  Mine was about 9" tall in spring when I tried to dig it in.  I was finding clumps of it in the soil weeks and weeks later.  :ohmy:

As long as you're up for the work and give sufficient lead-in time then go for it.  I'm not going to use it again as I'm a lazy so and so!!  :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 16:33 »
i like these replies because its made me more aware about growing Rye as green manure and although as said it does seem to improve the soil i think I may give that a miss for  the time being and think of something ells in the green manure range that mite do the same job

Thanks all

xx
Green Manure - Grazing Rye - Too Late?

Started by ryetek on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 05, 2012, 10:25
by Salmo
xx
Green Compost (Green Manure)

Started by Dirt Diver on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 16:38
by Dirt Diver
xx
Green Manure and Animal Manure

Started by AllotmentTom19 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 22:47
by Muddylou
xx
Green manure vs animal manure

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 14:25
by Trillium

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 41 queries.